+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Costs to re-sod yard

Costs to re-sod yard

Looking at a quote to resod part of the back yard. Most of it is dead from the heat. The size is roughly 80 feet by 40 feet and the quote is to remove all old St Augustine, put down all new top soil and install and roll Zoysia. Right at
    2 grand which seems pretty reasonable. Any thoughts?

asshat updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses
    Sounds reasonable to me also. I would make sure they put good topsoil down.

Nothing if you can find a boatload of Cambodian skulls left over from the Khmer Rouge....

asshat phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn's Avatar
    Doesn't sound unreasonable but are you sure you want to plant anything in the current drought?

Going back and forth on that question. I hate the half dead yard and will probably be betting that I can get Zoysia established before June. It needs very little water. Otherwise I have burned two grand and still have dirt

asshat 210816horn is a rep whore. 210816horn is a rep whore. 210816horn is a rep whore. 210816horn is a rep whore. 210816horn is a rep whore. 210816horn is a rep whore. 210816horn is a rep whore. 210816horn is a rep whore. 210816horn is a rep whore. 210816horn is a rep whore. 210816horn is a rep whore. 210816horn's Avatar
    1. spend $120
    2. plant bermuda w/ fertilzer & new topsoil
    3. water 3 times a day for month
    4. ?????
    5. PROFIT!!

Drank Blvd Hefeweizen might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Hefeweizen might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Hefeweizen might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Hefeweizen might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Hefeweizen might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Hefeweizen might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Hefeweizen might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Hefeweizen might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Hefeweizen might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Hefeweizen might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Hefeweizen might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Hefeweizen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phdhorn View Post
    Doesn't sound unreasonable but are you sure you want to plant anything in the current drought?
    +1. I will put sod down in my back yard when I'm ready to list the house, if ever again. $#@! raising a crop of grass, the front yard is enough pain.

asshat JohnnyM grows his own roses JohnnyM grows his own roses JohnnyM grows his own roses JohnnyM grows his own roses JohnnyM grows his own roses JohnnyM grows his own roses JohnnyM grows his own roses JohnnyM grows his own roses JohnnyM grows his own roses JohnnyM grows his own roses JohnnyM grows his own roses JohnnyM's Avatar
    That sounds pretty reasonable based on numbers I have been looking at for our backyard, although our total area is less than half yours. Are you going to be doing this soon? I need to get sprinklers installed in the back and then have the sod laid and wasn't going to do the sod until March or April, but is that too late?

My latest email from the landscaper suggests after Feb 1. I am leaning to late Feb in case we get a late freeze

asshat JohnnyM grows his own roses JohnnyM grows his own roses JohnnyM grows his own roses JohnnyM grows his own roses JohnnyM grows his own roses JohnnyM grows his own roses JohnnyM grows his own roses JohnnyM grows his own roses JohnnyM grows his own roses JohnnyM grows his own roses JohnnyM grows his own roses JohnnyM's Avatar
    Did you get this done and have you been satisfied? I thought I had a guy in mind to do my sod here pretty soon but he's disappointed me lately on another project so I'm looking elsewhere.

Middle of March is the current date.

AU - How did it go? Of the four guys I've had to come take a look, the first guy is the one who did the abortion of a job on my flagstone, so he's out. Another was what I believe is absurdly expensive (about 2900 for ~1900sf). The guy I like the most just can't get it done anytime soon, and the last guy who just came out seems like he doesn't really know what he's doing. So I'm desperately hoping to find someone who knows what they are doing and is at least reasonably priced. Hoping that you had a good experience and could pass along a rec if possible.

The people selling zoysia as needing "very little water" need to be slapped. It's better than st. augustine but it still needs a ton of water when it's over 90 degrees.

That said it's a great sod, feels 10x better than augustine on bare feet.

asshat lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by USC Troll View Post
    The people selling zoysia as needing "very little water" need to be slapped. It's better than st. augustine but it still needs a ton of water when it's over 90 degrees.

That said it's a great sod, feels 10x better than augustine on bare feet.
    To stay green, yes. The big difference, though, is that its designed to survive a drought. That doesnt mean it will look good, but unlike st aug, it won't die off. Instead, it goes dormant and rides the drought out. st aug keeps trying to grow and ends up killing itself.

go bermuda

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyM View Post
    AU - How did it go? Of the four guys I've had to come take a look, the first guy is the one who did the abortion of a job on my flagstone, so he's out. Another was what I believe is absurdly expensive (about 2900 for ~1900sf). The guy I like the most just can't get it done anytime soon, and the last guy who just came out seems like he doesn't really know what he's doing. So I'm desperately hoping to find someone who knows what they are doing and is at least reasonably priced. Hoping that you had a good experience and could pass along a rec if possible.
    Well supposedly it starts tomorrow. All the rain made it impossible to cut the zoysia sod down south. Or at least that was what they told me. I had a message that they would be here tomorrow am. Hopefully it happens. I will post pictures if I remember

asshat lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch's Avatar
    If anyone cares, The Grass Patch (Leander) installed 8 pallets of Palisades Zoysia for me a few weeks ago. $1380 for the grass, $400 for labor, $87 for delivery.

asshat TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd's Avatar
    What do y'all think of Tif 419 Bermuda?

I'm getting that installed this week.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasEd View Post
    What do y'all think of Tif 419 Bermuda?

I'm getting that installed this week.
    How much shade? It hates it. If you have some shade and still want Bermuda, you may want to consider Celebration Bermuda instead of Tif. If you have a lot of shade, you dont want Bermuda period.

asshat TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lurch View Post
    How much shade? It hates it. If you have some shade and still want Bermuda, you may want to consider Celebration Bermuda instead of Tif. If you have a lot of shade, you dont want Bermuda period.
    Full, unobstructed Sun where the TIF 419 is going.

But in general, how is it where it has full sunlight?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasEd View Post
    Full, unobstructed Sun where the TIF 419 is going.

But in general, how is it where it has full sunlight?
    It's a good grass. Drought resistant, wears well (ie, if you have kids or dogs). Only downside other than shade that I'm aware of is that it grows fast and prefers to be short (1"). You'll pretty much need to get it at least weekly during the summer to keep it from passing 1.5" inch. That would allow you to cut no more than a third to get back to 1". Celebration grows a bit slower and requires less nitrogen. If you can get it for the same price, it might be worth considering.

I want fast growing because of dogs and kids. I need it to repair itself quickly or it will become bare dirt.

Because of the naturalized areas under my trees I'll only have about a 6000 sq ft area that it will be in and the garden shed is adjacent so easy to mow and be done. Front yard is mix of common Bermuda and St. Aug that I let go longer between mowing.

lurch - did that price include topsoil, tilling, rolling?

The two people who have actually provided prices have been $550/pallet (sod, compost, labor included - although he said they don't normally roll it) and $2800 for the whole job (4 pallets). I'm calling the wrong people.
    Last edited by JohnnyM; 04-04-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Rolling only. It was part of a much bigger project so the loam and landscape mix they used was priced elsewhere. I'm not sure how much of it went into the sod area. They pulled up bermuda first, so they would have had a bit of soil to work with under it already.

This grass kicks ass at dealing with kids and pets. It gets used in parks and fields all the time. You can even drive on it fairly regularly if you need to.

do yourself a favor if you have a bermuda grass and google "bermuda bible"

follow it and your yard will be amazing

AU - Did they get it done? Hope it went smoothly.

In process - old grass is gone. Waiting for new to come in... Frustrating that the new grass is at least 2 days late

asshat T'Boo Ted Marshall grows his own roses T'Boo Ted Marshall grows his own roses T'Boo Ted Marshall grows his own roses T'Boo Ted Marshall grows his own roses T'Boo Ted Marshall grows his own roses T'Boo Ted Marshall grows his own roses T'Boo Ted Marshall grows his own roses T'Boo Ted Marshall grows his own roses T'Boo Ted Marshall grows his own roses T'Boo Ted Marshall grows his own roses T'Boo Ted Marshall grows his own roses T'Boo Ted Marshall's Avatar
    Dang, that's expensive.
    I spent less than $500 on topsoil and 2 pallets of SA.
    Granted, I did all the work myself and from start to finish I timed it at just under 7 hours of labor.

• + Reply to Thread