+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Five-toe shoes and flat feet

Five-toe shoes and flat feet

I know it's probably more of a fad than practical but I've run across a couple of articles that claim that those stupid looking shoes with toes are actually pretty good for people with flat feet. I've got flat feet and am looking to do more cross training as I spend 10% of my workouts playing soccer and 90% on a bike.

Anyone have any experience, advice or knowledge on this? I can't decide if it's just a stupid fad or if there actually is something to the dynamics of running, basically, shoe-less.

don't know the first damn thing about them or pro/con. but one of my good buddies in SF, 6 foot whatever, corn fed iowan. big, burly. does adventure races, tough mudder, etc.

he $#@!ing loves his, says its the most comfy shoes he's ever had.

I wore some to work every day. I need a new pair. My feet never felt better. They do take some getting used to.

Proud Kohls Card Holder wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix's Avatar
    i love mine, but i do not have flat feet

asshat The Eyes can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. The Eyes can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. The Eyes can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. The Eyes can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. The Eyes can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. The Eyes can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. The Eyes can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. The Eyes can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. The Eyes can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. The Eyes can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. The Eyes can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. The Eyes's Avatar
    i don't have any but that's because i still enjoy the womenz.

asshat NotActuallyALonghorn is a rep whore. NotActuallyALonghorn is a rep whore. NotActuallyALonghorn is a rep whore. NotActuallyALonghorn is a rep whore. NotActuallyALonghorn is a rep whore. NotActuallyALonghorn is a rep whore. NotActuallyALonghorn is a rep whore. NotActuallyALonghorn is a rep whore. NotActuallyALonghorn is a rep whore. NotActuallyALonghorn is a rep whore. NotActuallyALonghorn is a rep whore. NotActuallyALonghorn's Avatar
    I don't know if they will help your feet any or not, but they can't really be beat for any sort of outdoor activity.

bunghole Cape Codder slams and goes hard. Cape Codder slams and goes hard. Cape Codder slams and goes hard. Cape Codder slams and goes hard. Cape Codder slams and goes hard. Cape Codder slams and goes hard. Cape Codder slams and goes hard. Cape Codder slams and goes hard. Cape Codder slams and goes hard. Cape Codder slams and goes hard. Cape Codder slams and goes hard. Cape Codder's Avatar
    Flat feet doesn't matter. I wear them and have flat-ish feet. If you learn to adjust your gait to run with a forefoot strike rather than a heel strike, they can be extremely comfortable, and there is evidence that running this way decreases running injuries. But they key is to adjust your gait. If you run in them on your heels, you'll destroy your legs. Google "barefoot running" and you'll find a ton of helpful advice. I'll never wear running shoes again.

bunghole Texas slams and goes hard. Texas slams and goes hard. Texas slams and goes hard. Texas slams and goes hard. Texas slams and goes hard. Texas slams and goes hard. Texas slams and goes hard. Texas slams and goes hard. Texas slams and goes hard. Texas slams and goes hard. Texas slams and goes hard. Texas's Avatar
    Read this thread, specifically post #28: http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/show...refoot-running

Vibrams are great for walking around in, but do not run or cross train in them too much right off the bat or you'll increase your chances at getting a stress fracture. If you're flat-footed, chances are your foot is quite weak and you wear shoes all the time. Your foot needs to get much stronger before you can stress it, so start walking or running a mile a day, then increase from there.

asshat Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang's Avatar
    which gay publications are you reading?

asshat SquishMitten grows his own roses SquishMitten grows his own roses SquishMitten grows his own roses SquishMitten grows his own roses SquishMitten grows his own roses SquishMitten grows his own roses SquishMitten grows his own roses SquishMitten grows his own roses SquishMitten grows his own roses SquishMitten grows his own roses SquishMitten grows his own roses SquishMitten's Avatar
    I have a lot of foot problems - been wearing orthotics nearly my whole life - and should have had several surgeries a long time ago, but I just never felt like I could deal with the looong recovery time. Got some vibrams and I think they're $#@!ing great. I highly recommend them. Be careful when you first start training in them though. While it is very "natural," it isn't going to come naturally if that makes any sense. You basically need to train yourself so that you can train in them. Start with just walking around, maybe running up and down some stairs. Then go for short runs...like to the end of the street and back. Then as your gait improves and you actually start running on your toes, increase the distance to a quarter to half mile. You will be sore in a weird way the first few times, but eventually you will grow to love them.

dipshit ZeroGravitas is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? ZeroGravitas is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? ZeroGravitas is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?
    SquishMitten isn't joking about taking it slow. My wife and I both got injuries that felt like stress fractures from jumping into the mileage right away with the Vibrams. I'm not even talking crazy miles -- just 3-4 miles was all it took. If I was going to do it again, I would keep it under a mile for a few months. Depending on the amount of dog $#@! and needles in your neighborhood, you might even want to start out totally barefoot so that the skin on your foot limits your mileage until it toughens up.

You can practice a more fore-front strike in regular shoes, it just takes some concentration. It is an odd gait at first -- I found the most noticeable thing about it was how much quieter it is to run when you are landing on the balls of your feet.

asshat texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago's Avatar
    If you run in them on your heels, you'll destroy your legs. Google "barefoot running" and you'll find a ton of helpful advice. I'll never wear running shoes again.
    All of this, especially the last part. I'm wearing them right now and I use them to run, lift (squats, deadlifts are so much better in Vibrams) and take part in short races like Warrior Dash, Metro Dash, etc.

asshat Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whickums View Post
    i love mine, but i do not have flat feet

+ Reply to Thread