+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dog swallowed pork rib bone

asshat NaTe WHO grows his own roses NaTe WHO grows his own roses NaTe WHO grows his own roses NaTe WHO grows his own roses NaTe WHO grows his own roses NaTe WHO grows his own roses NaTe WHO grows his own roses NaTe WHO grows his own roses NaTe WHO grows his own roses NaTe WHO grows his own roses NaTe WHO grows his own roses NaTe WHO's Avatar

Dog swallowed pork rib bone

Last night my dog got into the trash and swallowed a pork rib bone whole. He's a Husky/Lab mix and weighs about 45lbs. The bone was probably about 3-4 inches long and I'm a little worried. He slept fine last night. This morning he went to the bathroom as he normally does and his stool looked fine and there was no struggle on his part. Everything seems normal so far but I'm curious when I can stop worrying and feel like he's in the clear? I'm at work now and will run home at lunch to check on him. Has anyone been through a similar situation and how concerned should I be? Thanks

Proud Kohls Card Holder wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix's Avatar
    all you can really do is watch his eating and pooping habits. if his appetite drops and he has a hard time pooping, stops pooping, or tries to throw up a lot you'll have to go in to the vet. good luck! are you sure he swallowed it whole and didn't chew it up?

asshat KC-97HORN is a rep whore. KC-97HORN is a rep whore. KC-97HORN is a rep whore. KC-97HORN is a rep whore. KC-97HORN is a rep whore. KC-97HORN is a rep whore. KC-97HORN is a rep whore. KC-97HORN is a rep whore. KC-97HORN is a rep whore. KC-97HORN is a rep whore. KC-97HORN is a rep whore. KC-97HORN's Avatar
    are you sure he swallowed it whole, and didnt break it up first?

My lab has eaten 2-3 ribs from the trash at various times, each time the bone was eaten in parts. She usually poops it out a day later and I can sometimes see the bone bits in the poop. Ive learned to keep anything smaller than a large leg bone away from her.

Banned mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses
    My guess is he will be fine. I'm sure he cracked the bone and enjoyed the marrow before it went down.

asshat judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag's Avatar
    Shove a bunch of hair/fur down his throat. It will help the bone work out.

asshat NaTe WHO grows his own roses NaTe WHO grows his own roses NaTe WHO grows his own roses NaTe WHO grows his own roses NaTe WHO grows his own roses NaTe WHO grows his own roses NaTe WHO grows his own roses NaTe WHO grows his own roses NaTe WHO grows his own roses NaTe WHO grows his own roses NaTe WHO grows his own roses NaTe WHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whickums View Post
    all you can really do is watch his eating and pooping habits. if his appetite drops and he has a hard time pooping, stops pooping, or tries to throw up a lot you'll have to go in to the vet. good luck! are you sure he swallowed it whole and didn't chew it up?
    Unless he chewed it without making a sound and under a minute, he swallowed it whole. I was in the living room next to the kitchen and heard a little commotion. I slowly got up and walked over to see him by the trash that had been knocked over and a togo box of 6 ribs now only containing 5. My pantry door wasn't shut all the way so I guess he couldn't resist the smell and used his nose to nudge the door open and go for the ribs.

I wouldn't worry too much, if swallowing bones whole killed dogs, the canine species would have been extinct over 100,000 years ago.

Duke of New York Hellraiser97 is a rep whore. Hellraiser97 is a rep whore. Hellraiser97 is a rep whore. Hellraiser97 is a rep whore. Hellraiser97 is a rep whore. Hellraiser97 is a rep whore. Hellraiser97 is a rep whore. Hellraiser97 is a rep whore. Hellraiser97 is a rep whore. Hellraiser97 is a rep whore. Hellraiser97 is a rep whore. Hellraiser97's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NaTe WHO View Post
    Unless he chewed it without making a sound and under a minute, he swallowed it whole. I was in the living room next to the kitchen and heard a little commotion. I slowly got up and walked over to see him by the trash that had been knocked over and a togo box of 6 ribs now only containing 5. My pantry door wasn't shut all the way so I guess he couldn't resist the smell and used his nose to nudge the door open and go for the ribs.
    My dog has destroyed an eaten bones in under a minute, so its possible.

PSA: (not that the OP intentionally did it) but you shouldn't give cooked bones to dogs. They can splinter and causes serious problems for them, and expensive vet bills for you. Usually when you buy a bone at the pet store, the process they use to cook them keeps them from getting brittle like that. You can also of course give them raw bones.

Quote Originally Posted by pevodog View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much, if swallowing bones whole killed dogs, the canine species would have been extinct over 100,000 years ago.
    This is how I feel, but doing a search on Google makes it seem like he's gonna die if I don't take him to the vet now. Honestly, I didn't think much of it except that he was gonna have one painful $#@! in the next couple days but figured I'd tap into shaggy wisdom to make sure.

asshat TOR GORN TOR GORN TOR GORN TOR GORN TOR GORN TOR GORN TOR GORN TOR GORN TOR GORN TOR GORN TOR GORN TOR's Avatar
    Give that boy some Metamucil. Hilarity will ensue.

asshat BuckeyesSuck grows his own roses BuckeyesSuck grows his own roses BuckeyesSuck grows his own roses BuckeyesSuck grows his own roses BuckeyesSuck grows his own roses BuckeyesSuck grows his own roses BuckeyesSuck grows his own roses BuckeyesSuck grows his own roses BuckeyesSuck grows his own roses BuckeyesSuck grows his own roses BuckeyesSuck grows his own roses BuckeyesSuck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pevodog View Post
    The difference is that the bones they ate 100,000 years ago were not cooked. Cooked bones can splinter in the dogs stomach much easier, resulting in internal liesions.

I'd guess he's going to be totally fine, but it is a good idea to keep an eye on him. I'd occasionally feel his tummy to see if there is any pain. Watch his stool for blood.

Note: I'm not a vet, just a Holiday Inn customer

My lab swallowed a whole turkey carcass in one gulp. He had a killer case of the shats but lived on to swallow hot wheel cars, womens pantyhose and underwear (pervert) , the sterofoam that contained a package of hamburger meat, and numerous other common items found in the pevodog household.

our golden's had many things she shouldn't have, including pork rib bones. they rarely swallow them whole. they'll crack them in their mouth and swallow within a couple of seconds. if you don't see bleeding you're fine.

asshat hornian is a rep whore. hornian is a rep whore. hornian is a rep whore. hornian is a rep whore. hornian is a rep whore. hornian is a rep whore. hornian is a rep whore. hornian is a rep whore. hornian is a rep whore. hornian is a rep whore. hornian is a rep whore. hornian's Avatar
    My dog goes through pork rib bones like butter.

She's 11 years old and been eating the bones for at least 10 of those years.

Your dog should be fine.

Checked on him at lunch and he is doing fine so far. Squeezed on his abdomen and there was no tenderness. So far so good.

benevolent dictator blacklab has disabled reputation blacklab's Avatar
    My dogs have had hundreds of pork rib bones over the years, and I've never had an issue. I would not worry.

asshat TOR GORN TOR GORN TOR GORN TOR GORN TOR GORN TOR GORN TOR GORN TOR GORN TOR GORN TOR GORN TOR GORN TOR's Avatar
    Also, need pics of Dog.

asshat BuckeyesSuck grows his own roses BuckeyesSuck grows his own roses BuckeyesSuck grows his own roses BuckeyesSuck grows his own roses BuckeyesSuck grows his own roses BuckeyesSuck grows his own roses BuckeyesSuck grows his own roses BuckeyesSuck grows his own roses BuckeyesSuck grows his own roses BuckeyesSuck grows his own roses BuckeyesSuck grows his own roses BuckeyesSuck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TOR View Post
    Also, need pics of Dog.

asshat Mack Tripper is a rep whore. Mack Tripper is a rep whore. Mack Tripper is a rep whore. Mack Tripper is a rep whore. Mack Tripper is a rep whore. Mack Tripper is a rep whore. Mack Tripper is a rep whore. Mack Tripper is a rep whore. Mack Tripper is a rep whore. Mack Tripper is a rep whore. Mack Tripper is a rep whore. Mack Tripper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hornian View Post
    My dog goes through pork rib bones like butter.

She's 11 years old and been eating the bones for at least 10 of those years.

Your dog should be fine.

asshat TexasEd Shaggy Gold Club TexasEd Shaggy Gold Club TexasEd Shaggy Gold Club TexasEd Shaggy Gold Club TexasEd Shaggy Gold Club TexasEd Shaggy Gold Club TexasEd Shaggy Gold Club TexasEd Shaggy Gold Club TexasEd Shaggy Gold Club TexasEd Shaggy Gold Club TexasEd Shaggy Gold Club TexasEd's Avatar
    he comitted to oklahoma freakshow and i am the idoit
    Another vote for should be fine.

Just watch him when you let him out to see if he gets blockage problems.

asshat hopkinsnhorns slams and goes hard. hopkinsnhorns slams and goes hard. hopkinsnhorns slams and goes hard. hopkinsnhorns slams and goes hard. hopkinsnhorns slams and goes hard. hopkinsnhorns slams and goes hard. hopkinsnhorns slams and goes hard. hopkinsnhorns slams and goes hard. hopkinsnhorns slams and goes hard. hopkinsnhorns slams and goes hard. hopkinsnhorns slams and goes hard. hopkinsnhorns's Avatar
    Sure, he'll probably be fine, but you should publicly shame him and post pics of said shaming here, just to be sure.

bunghole Tailgate Jeff is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Tailgate Jeff is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Tailgate Jeff is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Tailgate Jeff is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Tailgate Jeff is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Tailgate Jeff is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Tailgate Jeff is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Tailgate Jeff is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Tailgate Jeff is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Tailgate Jeff is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Tailgate Jeff is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Tailgate Jeff's Avatar
    Good looking dog!

Just to reassure you, our Golden Doodle swallowed at least 2 whole pork rib bones this Summer. Other than vomiting once and having the runs for part of the following day, she was fine.

But then again, over the years, she has eaten 2 sticks of butter and the foil wrappers, a pound of cooked bacon and a half of a large pizza and part of the pizza box.

Found a couple of him as a puppy.

Hind-lick maneuver.

Or follow TORs advice and put his $#@! on Blast.

+ Reply to Thread