+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 1,000 of 1559

Thread: Could the prosection of Gerge Zimmerman go any better for George Zimmerman.

  1. #951
    Banned Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,692
    Quote Originally Posted by scottsins View Post
    Question: Do y'all have that jacked up statute involving a bunch of discovery materials in cases being available to the press?
    Only what qualifies as a public record and not what is protected by work product and an ongoing investigation.

  2. #952
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPhlegm View Post
    Wut?

    He and the rest of the zimmerman crime family are gonna be busy in court defending the cow's perjury crime amd chimpy will be busy defending against this welshing on the debt he owes the security firm he hired to protect him from all the imaginary darkies that were gonna kill him.
    I've read a bunch of your posts and I'm calling bull$#@! on your degree from UT. No way you graduated from High School much less college.

  3. #953
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    When I was a prosecuting attorney--this is in Florida as I've already written in this thread in a courthouse (DeLand, Florida) that was less than an hour from where all of this occurred--one of the public defenders with whom I routinely dealt would try to sit an all white jury on any black on black crime. His theory was that white people wouldn't give a $#@! about black on black crime in the hood. I saw the guy get a lot of acquittals in those situations.
    You mentioned in a thread above that you knew (or knew of) the attorneys in the case. Is the lead prosecutor, de la rionda, really the ass he made himself out to be? It seemed he undercut his own credibility when he'd misrepresent GZ's comments to the 911 operator using unnatural inflections, etc. He seemed tone deaf - always shouting. And sometimes the points he tried to make seemed really petty in the grand scheme. Just curious to know your thoughts.

  4. #954
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenNuggets View Post
    You mentioned in a thread above that you knew (or knew of) the attorneys in the case. Is the lead prosecutor, de la rionda, really the ass he made himself out to be? It seemed he undercut his own credibility when he'd misrepresent GZ's comments to the 911 operator using unnatural inflections, etc. He seemed tone deaf - always shouting. And sometimes the points he tried to make seemed really petty in the grand scheme. Just curious to know your thoughts.
    He was playing up the emotional angle because he had $#@! evidence to work with, really pathetic. Hopefully he did withhold evidence from the defense so he can get disbarred and families of real victims will not have to worry about his $#@!ty lawyering getting perps acquitted.

  5. #955
    Banned Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,692
    Mark O'Mara moved for sanctions five separate times against de la Rionda and John Guy. In this previous 30 years of practice he never moved for sanctions against one a single time.

    The judge in the case reserved ruling on the latest motion for sanctions until after the conclusion of the trial.

    O'Mara told me this when I saw him in West Palm Beach at the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Annual Meeting.

    Many people, myself included, believe he will file a grievance with the state bar association against the prosecutors involved in the case.

  6. #956
    bunghole Scarlet_Lutefisk slams and goes hard. Scarlet_Lutefisk slams and goes hard. Scarlet_Lutefisk slams and goes hard. Scarlet_Lutefisk slams and goes hard. Scarlet_Lutefisk slams and goes hard. Scarlet_Lutefisk slams and goes hard. Scarlet_Lutefisk slams and goes hard. Scarlet_Lutefisk slams and goes hard. Scarlet_Lutefisk slams and goes hard. Scarlet_Lutefisk slams and goes hard. Scarlet_Lutefisk slams and goes hard. Scarlet_Lutefisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    ÷rnskŲldsviks
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    What is late teens? I think 17-19 is late teens. I think 14-16 is middle teens. That's my opinion, and you could reasonably disagree, but it doesn't support the assertion that various people are trying to make that Zimmerman knew he was following a little boy.
    Zimmerman's rough estimation of Martin's age turned out to be pretty accurate. Saying that he didn't know he was dealing with a 'teen' has the potential to be used just as inaccurately as the initial stories that he had run down & murdered a merely child. Nothing indicated that you intended to do so but the conversation is larger than you are I.

    When involved in discussions that evoke strong emotional responses, clarity is important to help avoid the hyperbolic nonsense into which they often devolve.

    Yes, I have a verifiable source. The discovery file for the case. Does it get more verifiable than that? Now that the case is over that will become available as a public record and I'm sure the media will get a copy of it. You can read it at that point.
    Well there you go, a straight answer. That wasn't so hard was it?

    Until then you're going to have to believe me and not insinuate that I'm lying to you. Which by the way annoys the hell out of me.
    Asking you to be helpful and provide information is not an insinuation that you are being dishonest. When I've discussed the case with others I specifically don't bring up the claim that he was told to 'keep an eye' on Martin because thus far it's been impossible to find solid evidence of it. Most of the leads track back to him being told such in calls on previous, unrelated nights. Being directed to such evidence would be useful when putting together a narrative when deconstructing that night in the future.

    To be honest, if I had asked you to provide a source so I could fact check, it still wouldn't be an insinuation that you're lying. It's pretty standard within discussions where the parties are interested in objectively understanding a topic.

    Why is that your tact? You don't agree with what I'm telling you because it undermines your position so therefore I'm lying. That's exactly what the prosecution wanted the jury to do without any evidence to support the argument.
    What position do I have that you believe you are undermining?

    I don't know why you're bringing your personal baggage into this, and I don't care. To be clear, if I think you're full of $#@!, I'll happily tell you that you're full of $#@!.

    So far your anecdotes have been pretty damn interesting, don't let things so sideways because believing someone isn't taking your word as gospel gives you a conniption. Ultimately you're just another guy with an opinion, however informed that opinion may be.
    Last edited by Scarlet_Lutefisk; 07-14-2013 at 10:34 PM.

  7. #957
    asshat STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Not an aggy, just don't hate Manziel.
    Posts
    8,648
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/elliotfelig/...zimmerman-case

    The prosecution needed to prove that George Zimmerman acted with ill will, hatred, or spite. However, its own witness, Detective Doris Singleton testified that Zimmerman did not appear to exhibit these qualities. I have tried cases where I had to show defendants acted intentionally, or recklessly, or with depravity, and never once did I have a case where my own witness completely contradicted what I myself was legally required to prove.
    I have never seen a case where the prosecutionís own witness said, point-blank, ďI believed the defendantís story.Ē Folks, this is unheard of. And yet it happened in this case, said Detective Christopher Serino. The testimony was ultimately stricken from the record, but, as we say in the trial biz, ďYou canít unring the bell.Ē
    This was devastating for the prosecution.
    John Good, a witness called by the prosecution, testified he saw Trayvon Martin straddling George Zimmerman, totally undercutting the stateís case and fully corroborating Zimmermanís version.
    When the prosecutionís only path to victory necessitates that it convince the jury to disregard the testimony of many of his own witnesses, well, then you know itís in big, big trouble.
    There were numerous other facts that emerged at trial to corroborate Zimmermanís version of events, or undercut the prosecutionís attempt to portray Zimmerman as a racist vigilante. Murderers, for example, generally donít summon the police to the scene minutes before their crime; they donít commit a murder when they know the cops are on the way; they donít make numerous voluntary statements without ever asking for a lawyer; they donít have visible injuries that corroborate their version of events; and they donít say, ďThank God,Ē when being (falsely) told by a detective that the whole thing was caught on video. But the testimony of the witnesses for the prosecution also weakened its case.
    In his statement to police and in an interview with Sean Hannity, George Zimmerman outlined out the elements of a valid self-defense claim.
    Ultimately, the Hannity interview was played to the jury, and because it was played, Zimmermanís defense team wisely realized that Zimmerman had no need to testify at trial, thereby allowing him to avoid the risks associated with cross-examination. We now know from the verdict, the jury apparently did credit his version as true.
    But surprisingly, the prosecution put all of Zimmermanís statements into evidence, underestimating perhaps, how influential they would be to the jury.
    The prosecution spent a lot of time and effort attempting to prove that George Zimmerman engaged in racial profiling and showing that none of this would have occurred if Zimmerman had not profiled Martin.
    But even if both of those statements are entirely true, thatís not enough to convict Zimmerman ó a jury could conclude that Zimmerman had initially followed Trayvon Martin because of race, and but for that motivation, this confrontation would never have occurred, and yet still have found Zimmerman acted in self-defense.
    Of course this is what makes the outcome understandably disappointing to many people: A man who seems to have acted with improper motives, and whose improper motives led to the deadly confrontation, can still be found not guilty.
    It may well be the case that Trayvon Martin would be alive today if he had been a white kid walking home that night. It may well be that the detectives and ultimately the jury would have been less inclined to believe George Zimmermanís self-defense claim if Trayvon Martin had been white. We will never know for sure.
    The juryís verdict does not address those other questions, but the verdict was not supposed to address those issues.

  8. #958
    asshat crimsonlonghorn grows his own roses crimsonlonghorn grows his own roses crimsonlonghorn grows his own roses crimsonlonghorn grows his own roses crimsonlonghorn grows his own roses crimsonlonghorn grows his own roses crimsonlonghorn grows his own roses crimsonlonghorn grows his own roses crimsonlonghorn grows his own roses crimsonlonghorn grows his own roses crimsonlonghorn grows his own roses crimsonlonghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hahvahd Yahd
    Posts
    4,271
    ^ Donnie's link

    "Improper motives" is the part that just floors me. What is improper about wanting to protect your neighborhood and prevent crime to your neighbors' property?

  9. #959
    Bonehead seems to have run off a number of the "GZ is a murdering, racist, stalker" crowd from this thread.

  10. #960
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeHorn View Post
    Switching subjects a tad, let me ask:

    If you were a Black civil rights leader, such as the head of the NAACP, would you invest political capital in this case?

    I wouldn't, and I don't really understand why they are. They have many, many, many justified examples of improper prosecution or injustice which are far, far more valid than this one. Why the $#@! did they choose this one? Or allow themselves to be sucked into it? It's almost so foolish that it looks like a trick to destroy the credibility of complaints about how the justice system deals with the deaths of young Blacks.
    For whatever reason, viewpoints on GZ split along party lines, and as evidenced here, many on the right don't even want to look at TMs death as a tragedy. Your reactions to media coverage, and your own media coverage, created a perfect wedge to keep the black voting bloc solid. Of course the NAACP played it up. You guys continue to play right into it on nearly every topic lately. It's like you forgot that Bush's success was because he labeled himself a "compassionate" conservative.

    The court case would go down just the same if you felt for TM and his family, and pretended to understand racial profiling from the side of the profiled. Instead you held your ground firm and once again solidified the minority voting bloc.
    Last edited by FondrenRoad; 07-15-2013 at 07:51 AM.

  11. #961
    Quote Originally Posted by FondrenRoad View Post
    For whatever reason, viewpoints on GZ split along party lines, and as evidenced here, many on the right don't even want to look at TMs death as a tragedy. Your reactions to media coverage, and your own media coverage, created a perfect wedge to keep the black voting bloc solid. Of course the NAACP played it up. You guys continue to play right into it on nearly every topic lately. It's like you forgot that Bush's success was because he labeled himself a "compassionate" conservative.

    The court case would go down just the same if you felt for TM and his family, and pretended to understand racial profiling from the side of the profiled. Instead you held your ground firm and once again solidified the minority voting bloc.
    I look at his death as a tragedy. A tragedy of Martin's own doing. I believe Zimmerman's story after seeing all the evidence and after hearing he said "thank God" when the cops bluffed him by saying the incident was all caught on video. And while not admissible evidence in a criminal trial, his passing a lie detector test also suggests he was telling the truth.

    Young men do stupid things that can cause their death -- driving recklessly, binge drinking, not wearing steabelts, drinking and driving, etc. Most of the time these poor choices do not result in death. Sometimes they do. I see attacking someone who posed zero threat to you as a poor choice that caused Martin's death. Especially the part where he beat him for 40 seconds while Zimmerman pathetically screamed for help. You just cannot do that and then complain when the victim defends himself.

  12. #962
    Reppin' errrybody in here CheeseWeasel Shaggy Gold Club CheeseWeasel Shaggy Gold Club CheeseWeasel Shaggy Gold Club CheeseWeasel Shaggy Gold Club CheeseWeasel Shaggy Gold Club CheeseWeasel Shaggy Gold Club CheeseWeasel Shaggy Gold Club CheeseWeasel Shaggy Gold Club CheeseWeasel Shaggy Gold Club CheeseWeasel Shaggy Gold Club CheeseWeasel Shaggy Gold Club CheeseWeasel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Romanes Eunt Domus
    Posts
    5,832
    Quote Originally Posted by FondrenRoad View Post
    The court case would go down just the same if you felt for TM and his family, and pretended to understand racial profiling from the side of the profiled. Instead you held your ground firm and once again solidified the minority voting bloc.
    I see this case completely different. To me, this isn't a case of color. To me this is a case of the government overstepping their bounds.
    I'm glad Zimmerman is free, not because of his skin color or the skin color of Martin, but because we have a system of justice in this country that CANNOT and SHOULD NOT be pushed aside because it will appease the mob.

    I'd rather see 100 men go free than 1 innocent man found guilty at the hands of an overzealous government.

  13. #963
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseWeasel View Post
    I see this case completely different. To me, this isn't a case of color. To me this is a case of the government overstepping their bounds.
    I'm glad Zimmerman is free, not because of his skin color or the skin color of Martin, but because we have a system of justice in this country that CANNOT and SHOULD NOT be pushed aside because it will appease the mob.

    I'd rather see 100 men go free than 1 innocent man found guilty at the hands of an overzealous government.
    Yep. There needs to be heat on everybody in FL, including the Governor who allowed this to happen.

  14. #964
    bunghole DocZaius grows his own roses DocZaius grows his own roses DocZaius grows his own roses DocZaius grows his own roses DocZaius grows his own roses DocZaius grows his own roses DocZaius grows his own roses DocZaius grows his own roses DocZaius grows his own roses DocZaius grows his own roses DocZaius grows his own roses DocZaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Lots of good information
    I just want to chime in here.

    I don't know Bonehead (that I know of), but many years ago I was a prosecutor in Seminole County and I also knew Mark O'Mara professionally (although I never tried a case against him). I also happen to have some acquaintance with the prosecution team through my internship at the Jacksonville SAO but I don't know any of them very well.

    I do NOT have the access that Bonehead claims (I don't do any kind of criminal work) but everything he is saying seems fairly consistent from what I know of O'Mara and my time at the Seminole County SAO.

    Listen to what Bonehead is saying. His analysis is spot-on.

  15. #965
    asshat phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Planet Lovetron, ATX
    Posts
    21,908
    Question for Bonehead...

    I really enjoyed your take on the Crump stuff... from my working with lawyers around here years ago (I was an auditor), this really resonated with me, the "what's REALLY going on" sounds and is familiar with the real motivations behind things like this (excellent stuff).

    The one question I have is that in your summary, you didn't mention much about the connect between (Angela) Corey(?) and Crump or whatnot. That is, I get why Crump wanted to see the case brought to trial, but since Corey was the agent that allowed it to bypass the GJ, do you know if there is/was any collusion or some type of communication between the two (or someone in their chain) which orchestrated this?

    I understand it's quite likely Corey will be up for sanctions about the discovery issues (though I doubt she'll get much penalty out of it), but what about this? Do you see any way she or any of her associates get some pain from this?

    (Personally I think Corey is the most odious turd in this whole crapfest, JMO).

    Thanks for anything you can add.

  16. #966
    Banned Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Sack View Post
    I look at his death as a tragedy. A tragedy of Martin's own doing. I believe Zimmerman's story after seeing all the evidence and after hearing he said "thank God" when the cops bluffed him by saying the incident was all caught on video. And while not admissible evidence in a criminal trial, his passing a lie detector test also suggests he was telling the truth.

    Young men do stupid things that can cause their death -- driving recklessly, binge drinking, not wearing steabelts, drinking and driving, etc. Most of the time these poor choices do not result in death. Sometimes they do. I see attacking someone who posed zero threat to you as a poor choice that caused Martin's death. Especially the part where he beat him for 40 seconds while Zimmerman pathetically screamed for help. You just cannot do that and then complain when the victim defends himself.
    I agree to a large degree with this.

    I can't tell you the number of cases where I was involved either as a prosecutor or a defense attorney where a young man--the maxims 'young and stupid' and 'Youth is wasted on the young' exist for a reason because they're mostly true--grossly underestimated the situation while simultaneously overestimating himself thereby leading to a very bad outcome.

    One that sticks in my mind is where an elderly man cut off in traffic a young man who was Martin's age. The young man got out of his car when both cars were stopped at the next traffic light with a length of broom handle and loudly announced that he was going to "do a job" on the elderly man for cutting him off in traffic. There were numerous witnesses to this. The old man reached into his glove box; pulled out a .38 special revolver; and shot the young man dead.

    I was the prosecutor on the case and I declined to pursue it. Both parties were white and upper middle class, but there were elements of the community that were enraged both ways. Some wanted the old man hung by the neck until dead. Some wanted more laws passed to protect the elderly from 'young punks.

    I fail to see how calling in a suspected prowler and trying to "keep an eye" on the suspected prowler make Zimmerman a bad actor. I just don't get it.

    One night about ten years ago on my home from a meeting I saw a car where the driver was clearly impaired. I called 911 and followed the car. Frankly, several times as I was following the car and reciting to the operator what was occurring the operator told/asked, describe it how you like, not to put myself in danger. I knew I had to stay close to the other car because if I lost sight of it or got too far away to accurately describe what was happening then my testimony (assuming things got as far as motion hearing or trial) would be subject to impeachment.

    The driver pulled into a neighborhood where he clearly didn't live--he was scruffy looking with long unkept hair; was in his 30s; and was driving a late model Pontiac while the neighborhood was upper middle class--and actually pulled into someone's driveway. I parked on the curb and waited for law enforcement to arrive. Twice he got out of his car and walked up to mine. Both times were hairy as I had no idea what he would do.

    When law enforcement finally arrived the whole shift for that zone appeared. The 911 operator told the shift sergeant that the situation was dangerous. The 911 operator also told the shift sergeant the wrong address.

    While two officers conducted a DUI investigation the shift sergeant gave me a form to write a witness statement. It was four pages long when I had finished and air tight.

    I got a phone call about a month later from the driver's lawyer. The driver had multiple DUIs and wanted to question me about the case. After about an hour long conversation the lawyer said words to the effect of, "I got nothing. Good thing most PC affidavits aren't as thorough as you are." The driver ended up pleading.

    Am I a vigilante wannabe cop because of my actions that night or a concerned individual who cared about his community and the safety of his fellow citizens?

    I guess the answer depends on who you ask.
    Last edited by Bonehead; 07-15-2013 at 08:54 AM.

  17. #967
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseWeasel View Post
    I see this case completely different. To me, this isn't a case of color. To me this is a case of the government overstepping their bounds.
    I'm glad Zimmerman is free, not because of his skin color or the skin color of Martin, but because we have a system of justice in this country that CANNOT and SHOULD NOT be pushed aside because it will appease the mob.

    I'd rather see 100 men go free than 1 innocent man found guilty at the hands of an overzealous government.
    I agree with you on justice, and I always fully expected GZ to go free, but you fell into a trap. The system of justice was never going to be pushed aside. You got caught up in the media frenzy, you made them a ton of money, and you consolidated the black voting bloc. The media treatment had nothing to do with the case itself. Its goal was primarily to shine a light on racial profiling. Most of you continue to not understand that, and instead you perpetuate the wedge.

  18. #968
    I believe Corey had political aspirations. "Had" as in the past tense.

    And Fondren....you're attributing altruistic goals to the media they don't deserve.
    Last edited by gecko; 07-15-2013 at 09:06 AM.

  19. #969
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I agree to a large degree with this.

    I can't tell you the number of cases where I was involved either as a prosecutor or a defense attorney where a young man--the maxims 'young and stupid' and 'Youth is wasted on the young' exist for a reason because they're mostly true--grossly underestimated the situation while simultaneously overestimating himself thereby leading to a very bad outcome.

    One that sticks in my mind is where an elderly man cut off in traffic a young man who was Martin's age. The young man got out of his car when both cars were stopped at the next traffic light with a length of broom handle and loudly announced that he was going to "do a job" on the elderly man for cutting him off in traffic. There were numerous witnesses to this. The old man reached into his glove box; pulled out a .38 special revolver; and shot the young man dead.

    I was the prosecutor on the case and I declined to pursue it. Both parties were white and upper middle class, but there were elements of the community that were enraged both ways. Some wanted the old man hung by the neck until dead. Some wanted more laws passed to protect the elderly from 'young punks.

    I fail to see how calling in a suspected prowler and trying to "keep an eye" on the suspected prowler make Zimmerman a bad actor. I just don't get it.

    One night about ten years ago on my home from a meeting I saw a car where the driver was clearly impaired. I called 911 and followed the car. Frankly, several times as I was following the car and reciting to the operator what was occurring the operator told/asked, describe it how you like, not to put myself in danger. I knew I had to stay close to the other car because if I lost sight of it or got too far away to accurately describe what was happening then my testimony (assuming things got as far as motion hearing or trial) would be subject to impeachment.

    The driver pulled into a neighborhood where he clearly didn't live--he was scruffy looking with long unkept hair; was in his 30s; and was driving a late model Pontiac while the neighborhood was upper middle class--and actually pulled into someone's driveway. I parked on the curb and waited for law enforcement to arrive. Twice he got out of his car and walked up to mine. Both times were hairy as I had no idea what he would do.

    When law enforcement finally arrived the whole shift for that zone appeared. The 911 operator told the shift sergeant that the situation was dangerous. The 911 operator also told the shift sergeant the wrong address.

    While two officers conducted a DUI investigation the shift sergeant gave me a form to write a witness statement. It was four pages long when I had finished and air tight.

    I got a phone call about a month later from the driver's lawyer. The driver had multiple DUIs and wanted to question me about the case. After about an hour long conversation the lawyer said words to the effect of, "I got nothing. Good thing most PC affidavits aren't as thorough as you are." The driver ended up pleading.

    Am I a vigilante wannabe cop because of my actions that night or a concerned individual who cared about his community and the safety of his fellow citizens?

    I guess the answer depends on who you ask.
    You stayed in your vehicle. That is markedly different from what GZ did.

  20. #970
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I was also a witness in a murder case in Jacksonville that Bernie de la Rionda was prosecuting. The defendant had been trying to get to my office for a consultation when he was arrested. I told him that if the police got to him before he got to me to invoke the Sixth Amendment specifically telling the police he wouldn't answer questions outside of my presence. He did, but the police kept interrogating him--Jacksonville Sheriff's Office is notorious for that kind of $#@!--until after nine hours he confessed to what was manslaughter and the destruction of evidence. He was having consensual sex with a woman he'd just met and they were engaging in autoerotica using a cellophane sheet. The woman died accidentally from asphyxiation and in a panic he tried to burn the body. Bernie still charged with murder because the young woman's family insisted she wasn't into that sort of stuff even though she had been four inch stiletto heels, a halter top and gold lamay hot pants when the two met at a club.

    His cross of me was extremely unprofessional and really pissed me off. By the end of the exam, I was the one doing the examination. I goaded him into asking questions for which he didn't know the answer and then I nailed the coffin shut.

    His first question on cross of the next witness was clearly calculated to cause a mistrial. Following his $#@!ed up cross of me the jury clearly believed that the defendant had invoked and the cops kept going anyway. Following the mistrial, some of the jury members approached some of the court room personnel. The jurors told them that the did believe the defendant invoked and that the defendant only committed manslaughter.

    Bernie's cross of me on the retrial was handled very differently.
    Was the original trial the first time he had to cross you? Seems like it since if there were other preliminary hearings, he would have known where his tactics would lead the questioning of you. What happened on the retrial, regarding the verdict?

  21. #971
    Banned Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,692
    Quote Originally Posted by phdhorn View Post
    Question for Bonehead...

    I really enjoyed your take on the Crump stuff... from my working with lawyers around here years ago (I was an auditor), this really resonated with me, the "what's REALLY going on" sounds and is familiar with the real motivations behind things like this (excellent stuff).

    The one question I have is that in your summary, you didn't mention much about the connect between (Angela) Corey(?) and Crump or whatnot. That is, I get why Crump wanted to see the case brought to trial, but since Corey was the agent that allowed it to bypass the GJ, do you know if there is/was any collusion or some type of communication between the two (or someone in their chain) which orchestrated this?

    I understand it's quite likely Corey will be up for sanctions about the discovery issues (though I doubt she'll get much penalty out of it), but what about this? Do you see any way she or any of her associates get some pain from this?

    (Personally I think Corey is the most odious turd in this whole crapfest, JMO).

    Thanks for anything you can add.
    No.

    The best way to describe Corey (and Bernie de la Rionda, Rich Mantai and John Guy) is she is a true believer, over-zealous prosecutor and a bully at heart.

    I dealt with her in Jacksonville when she was an assistant state attorney under then elected state attorney Harry Shorestein. This was over a decade ago. She was notorious for being fast and loose with evidence and was willing to stop at nothing, repeat, nothing to win. My last conversation with her prior to her running for office was really a shouting match in the hallway outside a courtroom. I had caught her hiding critical Brady material. I had witness affidavit to support my contentions.

    In reality, Angela Corey and Ben Crump don't like each other. They both look down their noses at each other and would cheerfully throw the other under a bus. Corey has taken a lot of heat from the NAACP in Jacksonville for many of her cases against black people. Jacksonville is divided by the St. Johns River. North of the river is predominantly populated by black citizens. Jacksonville Sheriff's Office (JSO) and the State Attorneys' Office (SAO) treat the area like a war zone. Jacksonville itself is a very harsh legal environment. Bond on a first time DUI for a lifetime resident who is gainfully employed with no prior arrests is $5,000.00. In the rest of the state it is $500.00 or an ROR (release on own recognizance) depending on the situation.

    That Rick Scott gave the case to Corey was no accident. His advisers told him who Corey is and that she would be the ideal choice given her reputation. Last year he assigned elected state attorney of the Fifth Circuit, Brad King, to investigate Skip Jarvis the elected state attorney of the third circuit for abusing the power of his office. Jarvis clearly had done just that by using the weight of his office to intimidate political opponents. But the investigation was also clearly political as Brad King (his claim to fame is praying with the family of a murder victim that the defendant would get the death penalty) is very aggressive and a Republican. Jarvis is a Democrat. The new state attorney for the Third Circuit, Jeff Sigmeister (a Republican) has been cleaning house. One of Jarvis' former prosecutors was fired by Sigmeister after a motion to set aside the verdict was filed and supported with recorded telephone calls where the prosecutor conspired with a convicted sexual predator to suborn perjury and commit fraud on the court in another trial. The motion was granted. The Florida Bar is now investigating that former prosecutor and likely will disbar him.

    Folks, never forget that Florida gave the US, Gideon v. Wainwright. Justice and fair play are in short supply here.
    Last edited by Bonehead; 07-15-2013 at 09:24 AM.

  22. #972
    asshat xr4ticlone Shaggy Gold Club xr4ticlone Shaggy Gold Club xr4ticlone Shaggy Gold Club xr4ticlone Shaggy Gold Club xr4ticlone Shaggy Gold Club xr4ticlone Shaggy Gold Club xr4ticlone Shaggy Gold Club xr4ticlone Shaggy Gold Club xr4ticlone Shaggy Gold Club xr4ticlone Shaggy Gold Club xr4ticlone Shaggy Gold Club xr4ticlone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    1,532
    Quote Originally Posted by FondrenRoad View Post
    For whatever reason, viewpoints on GZ split along party lines, and as evidenced here, many on the right don't even want to look at TMs death as a tragedy. Your reactions to media coverage, and your own media coverage, created a perfect wedge to keep the black voting bloc solid. Of course the NAACP played it up. You guys continue to play right into it on nearly every topic lately. It's like you forgot that Bush's success was because he labeled himself a "compassionate" conservative.

    The court case would go down just the same if you felt for TM and his family, and pretended to understand racial profiling from the side of the profiled. Instead you held your ground firm and once again solidified the minority voting bloc.
    Which is ironic since I just recently learned that GZ is a registered D and supported Obama for Pres. Turns out he is the dumbass TM supporters allege. Had he been convicted it would have been one less D vote in FL for 2016...

    The ironic part is that the people trying to destroy GZ are of the same political mindset...and the admin that he supposedly supported enthusiastically is going to be the one going after him in unprecedented ways.

  23. #973
    Banned Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,692
    Quote Originally Posted by FondrenRoad View Post
    You stayed in your vehicle. That is markedly different from what GZ did.
    You're reaching for something that isn't there, but that's obvious from your posts throughout this thread. Having said that, I'm not going to engage someone who is not willing to be intellectually honest.

  24. #974
    Quote Originally Posted by xr4ticlone View Post
    Which is ironic since I just recently learned that GZ is a registered D and supported Obama for Pres. Turns out he is the dumbass TM supporters allege. Had he been convicted it would have been one less D vote in FL for 2016...

    The ironic part is that the people trying to destroy GZ are of the same political mindset...and the admin that he supposedly supported enthusiastically is going to be the one going after him in unprecedented ways.
    How will the "admin" be going after him in unprecedented ways? He went to trial. He won. The media response was always going to use a case like this to discuss racial profiling. You had a chance to discuss it openly. You rejected that and instead bunkered in the foxhole against it, seemingly rejecting the fact that it occurs. So now, you've made your demographic problems worse for the next election.

  25. #975
    asshat BigVegasHorn26 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. BigVegasHorn26 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. BigVegasHorn26 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. BigVegasHorn26 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. BigVegasHorn26 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. BigVegasHorn26 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. BigVegasHorn26 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. BigVegasHorn26 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. BigVegasHorn26 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. BigVegasHorn26 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. BigVegasHorn26 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. BigVegasHorn26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dirty Third.
    Posts
    3,961
    Quote Originally Posted by utgrad97 View Post
    Have you ever seen a white MILF doing this?

    If Obama had a brotha...

  26. #976
    asshat phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Planet Lovetron, ATX
    Posts
    21,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    No.

    That Rick Scott gave the case to Corey was no accident. His advisers told him who Corey is and that she would be the ideal choice given her reputation.
    Wow, sounds like it sort of backfired. I understand she's a Repub, I guess Scott figured if anyone could get to the bottom of it, she could. So was Scott worried about the ramifications of this case once the media/activists got wind of it very early on last year? I.e. bring this to trial no matter what so we won't look like we ignored it? So she did? Looks like it backfired in the sense that a lot of other crap sort of came out.

    As far as Crump, sounds like then he was just a typical legal opportunist, saw the opening created by Corey and jumped on it. Strange bedfellows sort of thing...

    Lots of legal cesspoolism going 'round in Fla, but I'm sure it's by no means unique. Anyway, this is the take I'm getting now on how Crump and Corey relate to each other... correct if needed(?). Thx.

  27. #977
    Banned Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,692
    Quote Originally Posted by phdhorn View Post
    Wow, sounds like it sort of backfired. I understand she's a Repub, I guess Scott figured if anyone could get to the bottom of it, she could. So was Scott worried about the ramifications of this case once the media/activists got wind of it very early on last year? I.e. bring this to trial no matter what so we won't look like we ignored it? So she did? Looks like it backfired in the sense that a lot of other crap sort of came out.

    As far as Crump, sounds like then he was just a typical legal opportunist, saw the opening created by Corey and jumped on it. Strange bedfellows sort of thing...

    Lots of legal cesspoolism going 'round in Fla, but I'm sure it's by no means unique. Anyway, this is the take I'm getting now on how Crump and Corey relate to each other... correct if needed(?). Thx.
    Reverse it.

    Crump's media consultant facilitated the governor's assignment by the story he wrote and fed to the media. Mark O'Mara mentioned this in the press conference post verdict. O'Mara said, “He didn’t know why he was turned into this monster, but quite honestly you guys had a lot to do with it. You just did. Because you took a story that was fed to you and you ran with it, and you ran right over him . . ." Crump was always driving the train.

    The wrongful death suit filed against the deep pocket was settled before the trial even began.
    Last edited by Bonehead; 07-15-2013 at 09:39 AM.

  28. #978
    bunghole Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    RLM Library
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    You're reaching for something that isn't there, but that's obvious from your posts throughout this thread. Having said that, I'm not going to engage someone who is not willing to be intellectually honest.
    Sorry, but staying in your vehicle makes a huge difference. First by staying in the car and keeping it running, you provide the opportunity to flee. Second, you also create a barrier of 3000-5000 lbs between you and a possible assailant. Finally, it can provide cover to people outside the vehicle and if your hands aren't visible, they might be deterred by thinking you have a gun. For all these reasons is why traffic stops can become very deadly for police officers.

    Following someone at a distance in a car is very different than following someone on foot. When George Z got out of the car to follow the suspect (or possibly look to acquaint himself) and brought his gun, he created a vastly different situation.

  29. #979
    asshat BigVegasHorn26 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. BigVegasHorn26 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. BigVegasHorn26 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. BigVegasHorn26 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. BigVegasHorn26 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. BigVegasHorn26 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. BigVegasHorn26 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. BigVegasHorn26 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. BigVegasHorn26 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. BigVegasHorn26 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. BigVegasHorn26 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. BigVegasHorn26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dirty Third.
    Posts
    3,961
    Quote Originally Posted by phdhorn View Post
    Wow, sounds like it sort of backfired. I understand she's a Repub, I guess Scott figured if anyone could get to the bottom of it, she could. So was Scott worried about the ramifications of this case once the media/activists got wind of it very early on last year? I.e. bring this to trial no matter what so we won't look like we ignored it? So she did? Looks like it backfired in the sense that a lot of other crap sort of came out.

    As far as Crump, sounds like then he was just a typical legal opportunist, saw the opening created by Corey and jumped on it. Strange bedfellows sort of thing...

    Lots of legal cesspoolism going 'round in Fla, but I'm sure it's by no means unique. Anyway, this is the take I'm getting now on how Crump and Corey relate to each other... correct if needed(?). Thx.
    Corey looks like she could have been born to a Rhinoceros.

  30. #980
    asshat phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn has a gigantic e-peen. phdhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Planet Lovetron, ATX
    Posts
    21,908
    Quote Originally Posted by BigVegasHorn26 View Post
    Corey looks like she could have been born to a Rhinoceros.
    Careful, you're not supposed to make remarks about wimmenz looks on the Shag, else the miso.. mysg.. myst... er, women haters' force will come after you (cf. Napolitano thread). I'm sure Angela Corey is quite winsome and attractive to some.

    <vomit>

    Bonehead, thanks again. Man that it GREAT stuff... explains ALL of this $#@! way, way better than 1,000 dumb$#@! talking heads with ignorant agendas on cable. I've learned more about this case from your 10 or so posts than anything put together, period, the entire time this has been going on the past 18 months. Thx.

  31. #981
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    You're reaching for something that isn't there, but that's obvious from your posts throughout this thread. Having said that, I'm not going to engage someone who is not willing to be intellectually honest.
    Who is being intellectually dishonest? If you got out of your car, you would probably end up fighting that guy. I'm sure you knew that, so that's probably the reason you didn't.

    Also, this has never been about the case at hand. Go back and see where I've conceded the fact that GZ would win this case somewhere close to page 1 on the Bada Bing thread. You are late to the game. It isn't a matter of whether GZ should be convicted. He shouldn't be. You keep tilting at that windmill though. You are ignoring and losing the public eye discussion, mostly because you don't understand it, or how to engage in it, as evidenced by your anti-media posts.

    You may want this to not be about race, but it was always going to be framed that way. It's actually quite shocking that the right still consistently loses the public eye battles when the path to winning them isn't all that difficult.
    Last edited by FondrenRoad; 07-15-2013 at 09:45 AM.

  32. #982
    Banned Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Gosset the Table View Post
    Sorry, but staying in your vehicle makes a huge difference. First by staying in the car and keeping it running, you provide the opportunity to flee. Second, you also create a barrier of 3000-5000 lbs between you and a possible assailant. Finally, it can provide cover to people outside the vehicle and if your hands aren't visible, they might be deterred by thinking you have a gun. For all these reasons is why traffic stops can become very deadly for police officers.

    Following someone at a distance in a car is very different than following someone on foot. When George Z got out of the car to follow the suspect (or possibly look to acquaint himself) and brought his gun, he created a vastly different situation.
    The thing you and the other guy are purposefully ignoring it what Zimmerman did is not illegal in way shape or form.

    What if Zimmerman was walking to his truck and sees Martin and begins following him on foot instead of from his truck?

    Then where's your huge difference?

    You want a particular outcome and you're trying to seize on anything to get you there.

  33. #983
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    The thing you and the other guy are purposefully ignoring it what Zimmerman did is not illegal in way shape or form.

    What if Zimmerman was walking to his truck and sees Martin and begins following him on foot instead of from his truck?

    Then where's your huge difference?

    You want a particular outcome and you're trying to seize on anything to get you there.
    Nobody is saying it was illegal. We are saying it started a chain of events that resulted in the altercation. Hell, I'm sure you can ask GZ whether he wishes he had stayed in his vehicle, and I'm sure the answer would be yes. The "outcome" sought has nothing to do with whether GZ is guilty or not. Your reaction as a white male is much more relevant to the public eye case. You want racial harmony, you have to start taking the right direction in the public eye.
    Last edited by FondrenRoad; 07-15-2013 at 09:51 AM.

  34. #984
    I get out of my car all the time in my neighborhood for various reasons. So what if Zimmerman got out of his?

    This morning there was a car I did not recognize idling in front of my house. We live on a cul de sac so typically it is only residents and yard workers on our street. I walked up and asked if they needed anything. I actually had my Glock on me (concealed) for reasons that had nothing to do with the car (I was trading out the pistols I keep in my truck).

    Turns out the person in the car was lost. I was able to help them find their way. I guess I am lucky that person did not attack me for approaching them.

  35. #985
    asshat softlynow is a rep whore. softlynow is a rep whore. softlynow is a rep whore. softlynow is a rep whore. softlynow is a rep whore. softlynow is a rep whore. softlynow is a rep whore. softlynow is a rep whore. softlynow is a rep whore. softlynow is a rep whore. softlynow is a rep whore. softlynow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Like the offense, not in the endzone
    Posts
    3,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I agree to a large degree with this.

    I can't tell you the number of cases where I was involved either as a prosecutor or a defense attorney where a young man--the maxims 'young and stupid' and 'Youth is wasted on the young' exist for a reason because they're mostly true--grossly underestimated the situation while simultaneously overestimating himself thereby leading to a very bad outcome.

    One that sticks in my mind is where an elderly man cut off in traffic a young man who was Martin's age. The young man got out of his car when both cars were stopped at the next traffic light with a length of broom handle and loudly announced that he was going to "do a job" on the elderly man for cutting him off in traffic. There were numerous witnesses to this. The old man reached into his glove box; pulled out a .38 special revolver; and shot the young man dead.

    I was the prosecutor on the case and I declined to pursue it. Both parties were white and upper middle class, but there were elements of the community that were enraged both ways. Some wanted the old man hung by the neck until dead. Some wanted more laws passed to protect the elderly from 'young punks.

    I fail to see how calling in a suspected prowler and trying to "keep an eye" on the suspected prowler make Zimmerman a bad actor. I just don't get it.

    One night about ten years ago on my home from a meeting I saw a car where the driver was clearly impaired. I called 911 and followed the car. Frankly, several times as I was following the car and reciting to the operator what was occurring the operator told/asked, describe it how you like, not to put myself in danger. I knew I had to stay close to the other car because if I lost sight of it or got too far away to accurately describe what was happening then my testimony (assuming things got as far as motion hearing or trial) would be subject to impeachment.

    The driver pulled into a neighborhood where he clearly didn't live--he was scruffy looking with long unkept hair; was in his 30s; and was driving a late model Pontiac while the neighborhood was upper middle class--and actually pulled into someone's driveway. I parked on the curb and waited for law enforcement to arrive. Twice he got out of his car and walked up to mine. Both times were hairy as I had no idea what he would do.

    When law enforcement finally arrived the whole shift for that zone appeared. The 911 operator told the shift sergeant that the situation was dangerous. The 911 operator also told the shift sergeant the wrong address.

    While two officers conducted a DUI investigation the shift sergeant gave me a form to write a witness statement. It was four pages long when I had finished and air tight.

    I got a phone call about a month later from the driver's lawyer. The driver had multiple DUIs and wanted to question me about the case. After about an hour long conversation the lawyer said words to the effect of, "I got nothing. Good thing most PC affidavits aren't as thorough as you are." The driver ended up pleading.

    Am I a vigilante wannabe cop because of my actions that night or a concerned individual who cared about his community and the safety of his fellow citizens?

    I guess the answer depends on who you ask.
    No. It doesn't depend on who you ask, because you stayed in your car.

    Was there more to the broom stick story than that? Just so we understand, the kid was outside the old man's vehicle making threats with a stick, old man, who could have simply driven off, instead rolled down the window and shot the kid, and you declined prosecution? If that's the gist, and there's nothing more that's important, why not charge him and offer some kind of probation? Not gonna argue your point that the kid was an idiot and brought about his own death, but the old man's actions absolutely were criminal and unjustified (again, unless you've left out something major, like the kid already had shattered the glass and the old man's car was boxed in at the light).

  36. #986
    Banned Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,692
    Quote Originally Posted by FondrenRoad View Post
    Nobody is saying it was illegal. We are saying it started a chain of events that resulted in the altercation. Hell, I'm sure you can ask GZ whether he wishes he had stayed in his vehicle, and I'm sure the answer would be yes. The "outcome" sought has nothing to do with whether GZ is guilty or not. Your reaction as a white male is much more relevant to the public eye case. You want racial harmony, you have to start taking the right direction in the public eye.
    I'm not a white male.

    Now who is being racist?

    Also, you're selectively starting in order to fit the narrative you want where the "chain of events" began.
    Last edited by Bonehead; 07-15-2013 at 09:59 AM.

  37. #987
    Banned Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead Bonehead
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,692
    Quote Originally Posted by softlynow View Post
    No. It doesn't depend on who you ask, because you stayed in your car.

    Was there more to the broom stick story than that? Just so we understand, the kid was outside the old man's vehicle making threats with a stick, old man, who could have simply driven off, instead rolled down the window and shot the kid, and you declined prosecution? If that's the gist, and there's nothing more that's important, why not charge him and offer some kind of probation? Not gonna argue your point that the kid was an idiot and brought about his own death, but the old man's actions absolutely were criminal and unjustified (again, unless you've left out something major, like the kid already had shattered the glass and the old man's car was boxed in at the light).
    The people who want to get to a specific conclusion about the Zimmerman trial do what you are doing--ignoring inconvenient facts. They were stopped at a traffic light. There were cars all around him. The old man wasn't in the Tumbler. He couldn't just pancake the cars around him and drive off.

  38. #988
    asshat MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    10,090
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseWeasel View Post
    I see this case completely different. To me, this isn't a case of color. To me this is a case of the government overstepping their bounds.

    I'm glad Zimmerman is free, not because of his skin color or the skin color of Martin, but because we have a system of justice in this country that CANNOT and SHOULD NOT be pushed aside because it will appease the mob.

    I'd rather see 100 men go free than 1 innocent man found guilty at the hands of an overzealous government.
    I see it from two angles. Agree completely about our system of justice; setting aside allegations of prosecutor misconduct, which if true only amplifies the point, the system worked here, and from the evidence I've seen, a guilty verdict would have been improper.

    That said, the same concerns that I have with "overzealous government" and mob justice apply equally, or with even more force, to overzealous self-appointed pseudo-cops patrolling neighborhoods with guns and no identification. For all the complaints and stories we see about cops on this board, at least they are subject to training and hiring standards and have insignia letting us know who they are. While I don't want cops following me around for no good reason when I'm walking home from the store, I sure as hell don't want to be followed by the unholy combination of cop and HOA $#@!head, and in an unmarked vehicle no less. Frankly, I'm surprised so many GZ supporters seem to view him as some sort of hero rather than an $#@! who nonetheless shouldn't get jail time based on the evidence.

    So I understand why many people are distraught that TM was deemed suspicious and followed in the first place, regardless of the blow-by-blow once the confrontation started, and why many people think race played a significant role in the suspicion GZ had. Pinning their hopes for justice on this trial was probably misguided, because some of what makes GZ an $#@! isn't sufficient for a conviction, while evidentiary limitations and TM's death make it difficult to know what really happened. But that doesn't make the situation any easier to swallow for those who feel they are routinely targeted for suspicion based on their race.

  39. #989
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I'm not a white male.

    Now who is being racist?
    Then you should understand why this event was always going to be framed as being about race. And you should learn how to properly sway public opinion. It is even easier for a non-white male to do so when these events occur.

  40. #990
    asshat TahoeHorn Shaggy Gold Club TahoeHorn Shaggy Gold Club TahoeHorn Shaggy Gold Club TahoeHorn Shaggy Gold Club TahoeHorn Shaggy Gold Club TahoeHorn Shaggy Gold Club TahoeHorn Shaggy Gold Club TahoeHorn Shaggy Gold Club TahoeHorn Shaggy Gold Club TahoeHorn Shaggy Gold Club TahoeHorn Shaggy Gold Club
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Hazel Green, AL
    Posts
    10,947
    Quote Originally Posted by softlynow View Post
    ...

    Was there more to the broom stick story than that? ...
    I never believe any of these stories. The first cut is always misleading.

  41. #991
    Quote Originally Posted by FondrenRoad View Post
    Nobody is saying it was illegal. We are saying it started a chain of events that resulted in the altercation. Hell, I'm sure you can ask GZ whether he wishes he had stayed in his vehicle, and I'm sure the answer would be yes. The "outcome" sought has nothing to do with whether GZ is guilty or not. Your reaction as a white male is much more relevant to the public eye case. You want racial harmony, you have to start taking the right direction in the public eye.
    Profile much?

  42. #992
    Quote Originally Posted by riloh05 View Post
    Profile much?
    Just waiting for your next outraged response to media outrage.

  43. #993
    Quote Originally Posted by FondrenRoad View Post
    Just waiting for your next outraged response to media outrage.
    was I wrong?

    i am still waiting for you to try and whip my ass. pretty sure you are the one that cant handle your limp wristed internet emotions.
    Last edited by riloh05; 07-15-2013 at 10:10 AM.

  44. #994
    asshat clear lake horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? clear lake horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? clear lake horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? clear lake horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? clear lake horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? clear lake horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? clear lake horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? clear lake horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? clear lake horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? clear lake horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? clear lake horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? clear lake horn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Bucolic Wonderland
    Posts
    10,937
    Quote Originally Posted by phdhorn View Post
    Bonehead, thanks again. Man that it GREAT stuff... explains ALL of this $#@! way, way better than 1,000 dumb$#@! talking heads with ignorant agendas on cable. I've learned more about this case from your 10 or so posts than anything put together, period, the entire time this has been going on the past 18 months. Thx.
    What he said. Thanks for your insights.

  45. #995
    Quote Originally Posted by riloh05 View Post
    was I wrong?

    i am still waiting for you to try and whip my ass. pretty sure you are the one that cant handle your limp wristed internet emotions.
    The offer's on the table any time you want to take it. Let me know when you are in the northeast.

  46. #996
    asshat Gatorubet GORN Gatorubet GORN Gatorubet GORN Gatorubet GORN Gatorubet GORN Gatorubet GORN Gatorubet GORN Gatorubet GORN Gatorubet GORN Gatorubet GORN Gatorubet GORN Gatorubet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Chocolate City
    Posts
    9,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I'm not a white male.

    Now who is being racist?

    Also, you're selectively starting in order to fit the narrative you want where the "chain of events" began.
    Bonehead's a chick?

  47. #997
    asshat STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Not an aggy, just don't hate Manziel.
    Posts
    8,648
    Quote Originally Posted by FondrenRoad View Post
    You stayed in your vehicle. That is markedly different from what GZ did.
    I have seen this come up over and over -- GZ should have stayed in his car. That seems to be one of the big issues for those upset by the verdict.

    Serious question -- why is the fact that GZ got out of his car the golden chalice? Why does that swing him from innocent to guilty - or at least, not innocent?

  48. #998
    bunghole Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    RLM Library
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    The thing you and the other guy are purposefully ignoring it what Zimmerman did is not illegal in way shape or form.

    What if Zimmerman was walking to his truck and sees Martin and begins following him on foot instead of from his truck?

    Then where's your huge difference?

    You want a particular outcome and you're trying to seize on anything to get you there.
    Not illegal by any stretch, but he was either dumb or reckless to give up the strategic advantage that a car provides. If you acknowledge that a person can be a threat late a night and carry a weapon, why wouldn't you proceed with caution and use every advantage available?

    Again, not illegal, I support the right to carry a concealed weapon, but with that, if you carry a gun, you should try to take alternate methods to protect yourself and definitely not escalate situations.

    By leaving the car with a gun when he himself acknowledge there was a possible threat, it really could end three ways: he was overreacting to a stranger, the person could attack and kill him with his own gun, or he would kill the stranger.

    If Zimmerman was within a reasonable distance of his car, even if he wasn't in it already, why not get inside and gain an advantage?

    The only outcome is that a kid is dead and George Zs life has been changed forever. As far as justice? Only god knows what happened. We can guess, we can surmise, but really only god knows how the confrontation began.

  49. #999
    asshat NaTe WHO is a rep whore. NaTe WHO is a rep whore. NaTe WHO is a rep whore. NaTe WHO is a rep whore. NaTe WHO is a rep whore. NaTe WHO is a rep whore. NaTe WHO is a rep whore. NaTe WHO is a rep whore. NaTe WHO is a rep whore. NaTe WHO is a rep whore. NaTe WHO is a rep whore. NaTe WHO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    3,194


    Turn your phone... we know.

  50. #1000
    bunghole Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table slams and goes hard. Gosset the Table's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    RLM Library
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by STFU Donny View Post
    I have seen this come up over and over -- GZ should have stayed in his car. That seems to be one of the big issues for those upset by the verdict.

    Serious question -- why is the fact that GZ got out of his car the golden chalice? Why does that swing him from innocent to guilty - or at least, not innocent?
    Legally, not really relevant, but if he had stayed in his car, I can almost guarantee that both tm and gz would be alive. It's pretty much one of the only guarantee you can make with this case. That and there is no way that this case ever met the reasonable doubt standard.

    Let me add, you should be able to walk around your neighborhood without fear, but if you sense a potential criminal is in the area, why not do everything to protect yourself? It is just baffling...
    Last edited by Gosset the Table; 07-15-2013 at 10:25 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Home .. Advertise .. ShaggyShop .. PanchoChat
Football .. Basketball .. Baseball .. Other Sports .. RC Didn't Offer .. Gamboool
Varsity .. Hole in the Wall .. PCL .. Einstein's .. Nasty's .. GM Steakhouse .. NSAA
Bada Bing .. Can you help me with this? .. Shagslist .. Cloak Room .. Classics .. Bellmont