+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My dog keeps scratching at his mouth

asshat bigsteve041 grows his own roses bigsteve041 grows his own roses bigsteve041 grows his own roses bigsteve041 grows his own roses bigsteve041 grows his own roses bigsteve041 grows his own roses bigsteve041 grows his own roses bigsteve041 grows his own roses bigsteve041 grows his own roses bigsteve041 grows his own roses bigsteve041 grows his own roses

My dog keeps scratching at his mouth

He started doing this, or at least I started noticing him doing this, about 10 days ago. At first I thought he just had to scratch but as I kept watching him he will do it several times. I have looked at his teeth and they look normal. Compared to the other side of his mouth I can't see a difference. I haven't changed his diet or anything. There isn't anything lodged in there. Anybody have any clues as to why he may be doing this? Should I take him to a vet?

sounds like he's developed some sort of allergy. how long has he been on this food? was he bitten somewhere around the area he's scratching?

asshat bigsteve041 grows his own roses bigsteve041 grows his own roses bigsteve041 grows his own roses bigsteve041 grows his own roses bigsteve041 grows his own roses bigsteve041 grows his own roses bigsteve041 grows his own roses bigsteve041 grows his own roses bigsteve041 grows his own roses bigsteve041 grows his own roses bigsteve041 grows his own roses
    Quote Originally Posted by gsoda3
    sounds like he's developed some sort of allergy. how long has he been on this food? was he bitten somewhere around the area he's scratching?
    Its the same food hes had for the last almost two years. Hasn't been bitten that I know of.

Shaggy Goon MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction's Avatar
    Sure he isnt trying to get at his nose? Do the squeeze test. Apply pressure at different points. When the dog yelps you have found the problem.

asshat judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag's Avatar
    Cut off his foot. Problem solved.

asshat Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke's Avatar
    Wrap his paw and put the lamp shade on him.

asshat Jack Straw might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jack Straw might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jack Straw might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jack Straw might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jack Straw might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jack Straw might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jack Straw might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jack Straw might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jack Straw might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jack Straw might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jack Straw might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jack Straw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve041
    Its the same food hes had for the last almost two years. Hasn't been bitten that I know of.
    what kind of dog is it?

i have a golden retriever who is almost 3, and she just started biting at certain areas and licking them and getting hot spots a few months ago. it wasnt fleas, because hwe trated her for those and never saw any. we treated her with antibiotics twice, and it kept happening just as soon as she would go off of them

i switched her food to the natural kind of food (she had been eating iams her whole life)

the problem stopped. the food is more expensive, but she loves it

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Straw
    what kind of dog is it?

i have a golden retriever who is almost 3, and she just started biting at certain areas and licking them and getting hot spots a few months ago. it wasnt fleas, because hwe trated her for those and never saw any. we treated her with antibiotics twice, and it kept happening just as soon as she would go off of them

i switched her food to the natural kind of food (she had been eating iams her whole life)

Its a beagle mix. Hes been eating Science Diet for almost two years now.

What do you mean by "natural kind of food"?

my yorkie is a little over 2 and he all of a sudden developed an allergy (scratching face, body, and also lots of licking) to the same food he'd been eating for about a year. we switched him to california natural (more grains, less protein - some adult dogs develop allergies all of a sudden) and he's been fine since then.

asshat DieUCLA98 grows his own roses DieUCLA98 grows his own roses DieUCLA98 grows his own roses DieUCLA98 grows his own roses DieUCLA98 grows his own roses DieUCLA98 grows his own roses DieUCLA98 grows his own roses DieUCLA98 grows his own roses DieUCLA98 grows his own roses DieUCLA98 grows his own roses DieUCLA98 grows his own roses DieUCLA98's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Straw
    what kind of dog is it?

Its a beagle mix. Hes been eating Science Diet for almost two years now.

What do you mean by "natural kind of food"?
    He probably is referring to the more healthy foods out there such as Innova, Solid Gold, Cali Naturals, Merrick, etc etc... Science Diet is not part of that group.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

It is possible for your dog to have developed an allergy to the food. Switching foods to one of the more pricey brands (the 4 star+ brands in the link above) may help. The food might be more pricey, but you do not have to feed the dogs as much anymore as the kCal of the more pricey stuff is much higher.

asshat Jack Straw might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jack Straw might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jack Straw might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jack Straw might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jack Straw might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jack Straw might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jack Straw might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jack Straw might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jack Straw might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jack Straw might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jack Straw might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jack Straw's Avatar
    the brand we switched to is called natural choice i believe, i'll look when i get home

i found it at petsmart

thanks

Shaggy Goon MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction's Avatar
    Natural Choice is the bomb diggity. I noticed a change in my dogs coat after just a week.

asshat SubliminalHorn Shaggy Gold Club SubliminalHorn Shaggy Gold Club SubliminalHorn Shaggy Gold Club SubliminalHorn Shaggy Gold Club SubliminalHorn Shaggy Gold Club SubliminalHorn Shaggy Gold Club SubliminalHorn Shaggy Gold Club SubliminalHorn Shaggy Gold Club SubliminalHorn Shaggy Gold Club SubliminalHorn Shaggy Gold Club SubliminalHorn Shaggy Gold Club SubliminalHorn's Avatar
    it's the herp

asshat C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man's Avatar
    Innova's great. We used to give that to my Jack Russell when we still had him. Science Diet is $#@!.

asshat jmatt is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? jmatt is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? jmatt is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? jmatt is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? jmatt is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? jmatt is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? jmatt is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? jmatt is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? jmatt is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? jmatt is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? jmatt is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? jmatt's Avatar
    Is your dog chewing on any plants in your yard? It could be he's found something he likes, but is irritating his mouth.

Or, if you feed him outside, ants may be getting into his food.

+ Reply to Thread