+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you calculate drinks per person for an event?

asshat lonestarguido can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. lonestarguido can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. lonestarguido can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. lonestarguido can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. lonestarguido can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. lonestarguido can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. lonestarguido can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. lonestarguido can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. lonestarguido can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. lonestarguido can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. lonestarguido can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. lonestarguido's Avatar

How do you calculate drinks per person for an event?

Hosting a Holiday Formal Party for my MBA program.

I am going to have about 200 people there and have to buy all the beer, wine, and booze.

Anyone have any idea how to gauge what the amounts of each should/needs to be..

This is a drinkin crowd so going to err towards the higher end of the spectrum....

figure this number is similar to what is expected for a wedding.

asshat TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser's Avatar
    Then I would ignore those online tools that assume everyone at your wedding is either a Puritan or a friend of Bill W.'s.

Estimate how many people are drinking first. Since it's an MBA party, I'll assume all are over 21. But it's safe to assume, 5% have something big the next day and can't partake, 5% are pregnant or trying to be or breastfeeding, 5% just don't drink, etc.

Then how many hours of drinking will be going on? Most people won't show up until the second hour of a party, phase down the bar in the last hour of the party, etc.

Beer and booze go quicker than wine does. A person can comfortably nurse one glass of wine for 30 minutes at a party. Nobody holds onto the same beer for 30 minutes. However, you can delay the evaporation of booze by controlling the ratios and ice (however, if guests make their own-then they call the shots). Women will also tend to stick with one drink all night, men will tend to hunt/gather...starting with a beer, then wine with food, then booze later on. Which also begs the question, what is your male/female breakdown? That helps a lot, too.

And despite it being a young crowd with eclectic tastes, I would stick with just a few brands for the whole night. I would offer:
    -1 type of light beer (probably in cans which I would encourage people to pour into cups, less trash to deal with than bottles and they can reuse the cup)
    -1 type of white wine
    -2 types of red wine (it is the holidays which means red wine to me, one light and one heavy-maybe a pinot noir and med. cabernet)
    -1 type of vodka
    -1 type of whiskey/bourbon

Rum and tequila don't say holidays to me and mixing those kinds of drinks is sticky and makes the drink line long. The crowd is young enough, you don't need to fuss with scotch, brandy, or gin. But do stock up on mixers and ice. The best mixer suggestion I can give you is no 2-liters (messy) and no cans (people use half then leave it there). Get those .5 liter bottles in 8-packs, people use them, cap them, and somebody else can come along and use the remainder.

asshat Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke's Avatar
    What is the budget? Will there be a bartender?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Duke
    What is the budget? Will there be a bartender?
    need to know this for sure. also, are you just doing wells, domestics, and house wines?

either way...i would focus more on the beer and liquor with less on the wine.

at least that is what i do when i host happy hours and shin digs.

I was planning a party this past summer and the guy at specs said it's generally two drinks per person per hour.

Duke of New York Hellraiser97 is a rep whore. Hellraiser97 is a rep whore. Hellraiser97 is a rep whore. Hellraiser97 is a rep whore. Hellraiser97 is a rep whore. Hellraiser97 is a rep whore. Hellraiser97 is a rep whore. Hellraiser97 is a rep whore. Hellraiser97 is a rep whore. Hellraiser97 is a rep whore. Hellraiser97 is a rep whore. Hellraiser97's Avatar
    When planning our Chili Cook-off, a 5 hour even with most people there three hours, that included unlimited beer and wine, the owner told us to plan on roughly 7 beers (12 oz) per person and 1 glass of wine. People will forget about a beer, spill it, etc, and just go grab a new one, so they go through more beers than they would otherwise.

It really depends on how heavy your drinkers are though. We drink a lot and the owner knew that so that's where he came up with those numbers.

asshat CaptainEd grows his own roses CaptainEd grows his own roses CaptainEd grows his own roses CaptainEd grows his own roses CaptainEd grows his own roses CaptainEd grows his own roses CaptainEd grows his own roses CaptainEd grows his own roses CaptainEd grows his own roses CaptainEd grows his own roses CaptainEd grows his own roses CaptainEd's Avatar
    ok, this was about what we were looking at for my wedding in march so i can at least set you down the right path. we had adults there (obviously) and about half of them drink quite a bit. all of the younger crowd that was there (i'd say over half) are pretty heavy drinkers.

what was budgeted for:
    red wine - 4.5 cases (54 bottles)
    white wine - 4.5 cases
    champagne - 4 cases

keg of st. arnold's spring bock
    keg of fireman's 4

vodka - 1 case of liters (12 bottles)
    whiskey/bourbon - 1 case
    gin - 4 bottles
    rum - 8 bottles
    scotch - 4 bottles
    tequila (patron/cuervo platino/don julio/etc) - 3 bottles

REALISTICALLY:
    -cut all wine & champagne in half
    -the beer did not get finished, but if you want more than one on tap, you have to expect that
    -vodka - 8 bottles
    -whiskey/bourbon - 8 bottles
    -rum - 4 bottles (except this is a holiday party, think about eggnog)
    -tequila - 2 bottles
    -gin - still 4 bottles

mixers:
    cranberry
    oj
    dry vermouth
    club soda
    tonic
    coke
    diet coke
    sprite
    olives, cherries, lemon, lime

*If you buy at spec's you'll get a better deal. in addition, you can return anything that is unopened and has NOT been chilled. there was a 5 or 10% restocking fee but overall a great deal (i returned about half of the wine & champagne that had not been chilled, kept the rest, kept the liquor).

that should be a starting point, but every large spec's will also have someone that will help you calculate what you need, stock it in time, and they'll deliver as well, in my experience with the s. austin store (they took it to the lbj wildflower center for me).

hope that helps.

asshat lonestarguido can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. lonestarguido can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. lonestarguido can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. lonestarguido can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. lonestarguido can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. lonestarguido can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. lonestarguido can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. lonestarguido can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. lonestarguido can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. lonestarguido can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. lonestarguido can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. lonestarguido's Avatar
    There will be bartenders and budget is not an issue.

We are having it off site and it is a big event, will have 4 bartenders actually. But we purchase the booze.

I will prob have 3 different types of light beer.

a red and a white wine

Vodka
    Whiskey
    Rum (small amount)
    Gin (small amount)

Trying to figure out the amounts of each i need to buy

asshat C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEd
    what was budgeted for:
    red wine - 4.5 cases (54 bottles)
    white wine - 4.5 cases
    champagne - 4 cases
    Tebow, how many people came to your wedding that somebody thought you needed 162 bottles of wine?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEd
    all of the younger crowd that was there (i'd say over half) are [s:d13fbbc5d5]pretty[/s:d13fbbc5d5] really heavy drinkers.
    FIFY

Connor_Macleod
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Man
    Tebow, how many people came to your wedding that somebody thought you needed 162 bottles of wine?
    Enough that they ran out of food.

asshat C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man grows his own roses C-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Connor_Macleod
    Enough that they ran out of food.

Of course -- the bride's father shot the wad on booze, no money left for food.

Connor_Macleod
    Tekillya shots were plentiful that night.

asshat CaptainEd grows his own roses CaptainEd grows his own roses CaptainEd grows his own roses CaptainEd grows his own roses CaptainEd grows his own roses CaptainEd grows his own roses CaptainEd grows his own roses CaptainEd grows his own roses CaptainEd grows his own roses CaptainEd grows his own roses CaptainEd grows his own roses CaptainEd's Avatar
    actually that wasn't the case at all and connor, having best man events/obligations, was the only person who seemed to not eat. btw, primizie did a great catering job.

and yeah, the wine was retarded - i went with estimations i was given and would have been safe with half that volume. like i said, that was where the real leftovers were. i returned most of it to spec's, save what i wanted to keep at home.

as for the liquor, well, i know somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody at diageo.

dear lord that is a ton of booze for a wedding..how many peeps were there..

how many peeps were standing at the end of the night....

don't remember the exact number but it was between 200-225. like i said, i was left with an ample amount of booze and returned quite a bit of wine. i posted the numbers from the original worksheet, not from what was consumed. for the wine, order waaaay less than you think. your instinct on booze is probably going to be about right - most people end up going that route. beer is pretty much just something to have for those that want it. an open bar means most will drink liquor.

what it really boils down to is that the only thing i was responsible for planning the entire wedding by both my wife & the planner was the bar. i went for it. just trying to let you know that you can do 200 with much less (and we did), but thought the original numbers would help as a guide.

asshat TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser's Avatar
    While more economical, don't buy handlebars of liquor (1.75L), but 1 litre bottles. They are easier to pour for both guests and bartenders.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCruiser
    While more economical, don't buy handlebars of liquor (1.75L), but 1 litre bottles. They are easier to pour for both guests and bartenders.
    agreed on this. it was actually specifically requested by the bartenders - 1.0L (worst case 750mL), but no handles.

faux aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    Ask the bartenders. They will probably know better than anyone else.

Buy 3 times the amount you think you need. Keep excess for personal consumption.

+ Reply to Thread