+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacing subfloor in bathroom

asshat 210816horn grows his own roses 210816horn grows his own roses 210816horn grows his own roses 210816horn grows his own roses 210816horn grows his own roses 210816horn grows his own roses 210816horn grows his own roses 210816horn grows his own roses 210816horn grows his own roses 210816horn grows his own roses 210816horn grows his own roses 210816horn's Avatar

Question Replacing subfloor in bathroom

Has anyone done this? How difficult is this remolding project?
    My toilet tank started leaking and cause some water damage due to the cheap work of the home builder and previous owner. The floor is just regular plywood with peel and stick tile, which is a recipe for disaster. I am planning on replacing the toilet, vanity, knock out a closet and debating on which tile to use on the floor. I'm also wondering since I am going to replace the floor, should I just remove the tub too? Any advice or suggestions are welcomed. This is not the master bath, but my children's bath....so nothing over the top will done, just an up to date remodel.

A decently easy project, assuming that the structure of the floor joists is intact. Remove all furniture/cabinetry, pull up plywood. I'd recommend removing the tub so you can check the entire floor, but it's probably not necessary if the damage is localized to the toilet area. You'll have to judge. Pull up plywood, and check for structural integrity. If ok, put concrete board back down - this stuff is AWESOME. A little heavy, but doesn't rot, mold, mildew and you can treat it just likely plywood otherwise. Apply leveler if needed, apply tile, apply grout, reinstall toilet, reinstall cabinet, profit.

If the floor joists themselves are compromised, call a certified contractor :).

asshat alldone slams and goes hard. alldone slams and goes hard. alldone slams and goes hard. alldone slams and goes hard. alldone slams and goes hard. alldone slams and goes hard. alldone slams and goes hard. alldone slams and goes hard. alldone slams and goes hard. alldone slams and goes hard. alldone slams and goes hard.
    It's a bit of work, but you can do it.

I ripped up the whole floor. Moved around the plumbing as necessary. Removed rotten joists and put in new ones, making sure everything is still level. Installed 2 layers of plywood, 3/4" on bottom, 1/2" on top with seams in different places. Lots of screws. Then you need a backer for your tile. I used ditra since it's easy and only 1/8" thick, but concrete board would also work. Then mortar, tile, grout.

The hard part is that its not easy to do just a little bit of floor without redoing the whole bathroom. Unless you're going to just replace the existing materials, it will be impossible to keep the floor level and match tile. You'll probably want to remove the tub if it was installed on top of the subfloor.

I'm not a pro, but I've been through this, so feel free to pm with questions.

dipshit UTTG is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?
    Not that hard. What Capnamerca said, except when reinstalling sub-floor, go back with 3/4 plywood first, then on top of that, use cement board. Be sure to use thin-set under your cement board!!! Tape and float the seams with fibaTape and the same thin-set. Don't skimp on the thin-set, get the good stuff.

If you are planning on doing this, I'd probably go ahead and retile the shower. Here just rip out the (probably) drywall and replace with 1/2 cement board.

On all cement board, use the cement board screws because others will rust out.

Quote Originally Posted by UTTG View Post
    Not that hard. What Capnamerca said, except when reinstalling sub-floor, go back with 3/4 plywood first, then on top of that, use cement board. Be sure to use thin-set under your cement board!!! Tape and float the seams with fibaTape and the same thin-set. Don't skimp on the thin-set, get the good stuff.

If you are planning on doing this, I'd probably go ahead and retile the shower. Here just rip out the (probably) drywall and replace with 1/2 cement board.

On all cement board, use the cement board screws because others will rust out.
    This is exactly what I did:
    http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/50758

fucktard Whiskey Sam is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Whiskey Sam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alldone View Post
    It's a bit of work, but you can do it.

I ripped up the whole floor. Moved around the plumbing as necessary. Removed rotten joists and put in new ones, making sure everything is still level. Installed 2 layers of plywood, 3/4" on bottom, 1/2" on top with seams in different places. Lots of screws. Then you need a backer for your tile. I used ditra since it's easy and only 1/8" thick, but concrete board would also work. Then mortar, tile, grout.

The hard part is that its not easy to do just a little bit of floor without redoing the whole bathroom. Unless you're going to just replace the existing materials, it will be impossible to keep the floor level and match tile. You'll probably want to remove the tub if it was installed on top of the subfloor.

I'm not a pro, but I've been through this, so feel free to pm with questions.
    I'm curious as to how you "replaced" the floor joists. Did you tie them all the way back into the supporting structural piece, like the framewall or the piers? Otherwise, you might have created a problem for yourself. I'm not saying you did, just that you might have.

asshat 210816horn grows his own roses 210816horn grows his own roses 210816horn grows his own roses 210816horn grows his own roses 210816horn grows his own roses 210816horn grows his own roses 210816horn grows his own roses 210816horn grows his own roses 210816horn grows his own roses 210816horn grows his own roses 210816horn grows his own roses 210816horn's Avatar
    Great info guys!

If I have any questions, don't worry I'll ask. I start my demo tonight, so I'll post pics during the process.

So how's it going?

So far I've removed all furniture (vanity, cabinets, closet doors, fixtures)...currently in the process of knocking down the closet that took up a lot of space. I'm starting back up this weekend......this rain in SA needs to leave soon! I dont want wet dry wall in the back of my truck.

fucktard tubtoilet is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? tubtoilet's Avatar
    It's been awhile. Did you finish your bathroom?

asshat judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag's Avatar
    For all of you saying "not that hard", he'd better hope that the floor was laid after the walls were framed. Otherwise "just pull up the plywood" means that 4x8 sheets are run in there and don't match the walls that are put on top of them. Which means figuring out where the joists are, and using a sawzall carefully, then re-cutting new plywood to fit. Nothing is easy.

asshat alldone slams and goes hard. alldone slams and goes hard. alldone slams and goes hard. alldone slams and goes hard. alldone slams and goes hard. alldone slams and goes hard. alldone slams and goes hard. alldone slams and goes hard. alldone slams and goes hard. alldone slams and goes hard. alldone slams and goes hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey Sam View Post
    I'm curious as to how you "replaced" the floor joists. Did you tie them all the way back into the supporting structural piece, like the framewall or the piers? Otherwise, you might have created a problem for yourself. I'm not saying you did, just that you might have.
    Better late than never. The joists were attached to the beam, and there was a beam on either side of the bathroom, so I was able to remove all of the rotten joists. I don't know what they're called, but I used metal framing pieces to attach the joists to the beams. And a bunch of nails. It's the same way all the original joists are attached, so I think I did it right.

asshat Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang's Avatar
    metal framing pieces?

Joist hangers?

+ Reply to Thread