+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What to put under a fire pit?

asshat BearLakeHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. BearLakeHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. BearLakeHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. BearLakeHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. BearLakeHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. BearLakeHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. BearLakeHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. BearLakeHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. BearLakeHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. BearLakeHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. BearLakeHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. BearLakeHorn's Avatar

What to put under a fire pit?

I have a wooden deck in the backyard and a fire pit out there. The fire pit has a 1.5" hole in the bottom for air circulation and to prevent water from building up in there. When I use it, the embers drop down to the deck below. Not a good combination obviously. Last winter when I used it, I put an extra piece of ceramic tile that I had from when my house was built under the hole to collect the embers. Worked until the last time that I used it and the tile cracked. Made a nice pop too when it cracked.

I haven't used the fire pit since then but I thought I needed a better solution.

Would something like this work? If not, any suggestions?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...42&marketID=42

asshat William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon's Avatar
    the first place we could see, servin' cold beer in the shade
    aluminum roasting pan or pie pan with a rock on top for weight?

asshat beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer's Avatar
    Greater than 300 yards from an elementary school
    greg davis

Shaggy Goon MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction's Avatar
    lava rock. Its porous so water won't collect, and makes it easy to clean with a hose.

Quote Originally Posted by beer View Post
    greg davis
    He said "under".

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjazz View Post
    He said "under".

asshat judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag's Avatar
    Seriously if I were you and you want a pit in your deck, find a permanent place to locate it, cut a circular hole to fit, and recess the pit into it with rocks underneath. Flash around the round recessed area with metal flashing. I've seen a cheap Brinkmann smoker burn a hole in a wooden deck. I don't think there is much you can do on top of it.

asshat Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by William Cannon View Post
    aluminum roasting pan or pie pan with a rock on top for weight?
    Don't do this. Aluminum pans, by themselves, can't stand-up to hot coals. An aluminum pan filled with sand might work.

asshat updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses
    Your going to catch the deck on fire. The heat will eventually be high enough if not the embers. I've done this before, luckily I was outside when it caught on fire

bunghole GDLover slams and goes hard. GDLover slams and goes hard. GDLover slams and goes hard. GDLover slams and goes hard. GDLover slams and goes hard. GDLover slams and goes hard. GDLover slams and goes hard. GDLover slams and goes hard. GDLover slams and goes hard. GDLover slams and goes hard. GDLover slams and goes hard.
    78734/78704/ In my truck stealing your internets
    Sheet of 1/2" Hardi- Backer. $10. I have done this for occasional use. You could add fire-resistant tile to the hardi. If you are getting hot enough to crack tile, you might want a more permanent solution. Fire Bricks?

asshat B can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    I had a huge wooden deck at my house in Austin with a huge chimenea on a metal stand. One night after a Robert Earl Keen concert at the Backyard, my buddies and I were drinking beers on the deck by the fire when one of the guys gets up, staggers and falls on the chimenea shattering it into a million pieces with flames, embers, coals, burning logs flying everywhere. We kicked all of the burning debris off of the deck into the yard before it caught on fire and then used the hose to put out the small grass fire that resulted. Ever since then, the deck had a bunch of nice black marks all over it. The grass eventually grew back.

This doesn't help you at all, but it makes me laugh to think about it again.

asshat LonghornJones grows his own roses LonghornJones grows his own roses LonghornJones grows his own roses LonghornJones grows his own roses LonghornJones grows his own roses LonghornJones grows his own roses LonghornJones grows his own roses LonghornJones grows his own roses LonghornJones grows his own roses LonghornJones grows his own roses LonghornJones grows his own roses
    only good can come after this line

Quote Originally Posted by B View Post
    I had a huge wooden deck at my house in Austin with a huge chimenea on a metal stand. One night after a Robert Earl Keen concert at the Backyard, my buddies and I were drinking beers on the deck by the fire when one of the guys gets up, staggers and falls on the chimenea shattering it into a million pieces with flames, embers, coals, burning logs flying everywhere. We kicked all of the burning debris off of the deck into the yard before it caught on fire and then used the hose to put out the small grass fire that resulted. Ever since then, the deck had a bunch of nice black marks all over it. The grass eventually grew back.

This doesn't help you at all, but it makes me laugh to think about it again.

asshat BearLakeHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. BearLakeHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. BearLakeHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. BearLakeHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. BearLakeHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. BearLakeHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. BearLakeHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. BearLakeHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. BearLakeHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. BearLakeHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. BearLakeHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. BearLakeHorn's Avatar

I won this in the Corpus Christi Texas Exes annual raffle last year. It isn't going to shatter. :-)

asshat William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BearLakeHorn View Post

I won this in the Corpus Christi Texas Exes annual raffle last year. It isn't going to shatter. :-)
    oh that's freaking huge...
    How about some 16"x16" concrete pavers or giant pieces of flagstone?

Quote Originally Posted by William Cannon View Post
    oh that's freaking huge...
    How about some 16"x16" concrete pavers or giant pieces of flagstone?
    yeah it's 32" in diameter and 1/4" thick. heavy as a bear.

i have 2 types of tile in my attic (extra from the builder). ceramic and porcelain. both are 12x12" tile. i might use try the porcelain tile next time as that should stand hotter temps. but would a rubber mat or what i have above be better? i would use pavers if i had it in my yard but it's on my deck.

asshat Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese's Avatar
    i have a 30"x36" concrete pad that my bronze chimnea sits on. the ash pan bit the dust along time ago.

just ask around for an a/c concrete pad

if you are in houston, i can get you one for free

asshat B can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    Quote Originally Posted by BearLakeHorn View Post

I replaced the shattered chimenea with something similar to yours for that reason.

fucktard Txmudkat66 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Txmudkat66's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GDLover View Post
    Sheet of 1/2" Hardi- Backer. $10. I have done this for occasional use. You could add fire-resistant tile to the hardi. If you are getting hot enough to crack tile, you might want a more permanent solution. Fire Bricks?

I've used hardi board(concrete board) as well, it works but not a permanent solution.

Bump. Cold front is blowing in this Friday and I have quite a few days off next week so I am going to fire up the fire pit. I have come to the conclusion that I just need to move it to the grass when I light it up (and keep it on the deck when I'm not using it). I'll put a piece of porcelain tile under the thing and hope that holds up better than ceramic tile... And if it cracks, I think a few coals hitting the grass will be better than the deck.

bunghole justalonghornfan is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? justalonghornfan's Avatar
    I don't know if this would help but I saw a mat at either Home Depot or Lowes that might be what you are looking for. It is used under grills or fire pits to catch the hot grease or embers that might fall. I live in California but maybe the stores in Texas carry this mat as well.

I would center a cheap large pan, not aluminum, under the pit. Then place it on some bricks to elevate it off the wood and add some big rocks on the inside of it for weight. This will catch the embers but also allow air underneath to cool the pan from the heat.

Good luck finding what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    i have a 30"x36" concrete pad that my bronze chimnea sits on. the ash pan bit the dust along time ago.

just ask around for an a/c concrete pad

if you are in houston, i can get you one for free
    a/c concrete pad will work...that's pretty damn genius actually...

OR the OP can get a few concrete paver tiles like I originally prescribed if he has a hard time finding the pad:

a 3x3 config should work and give 4ft of protection.

If it were me, I'd get some flagstone from Daniel Stone and Landscape in Dripping to give more of natural look

bunghole GDLover slams and goes hard. GDLover slams and goes hard. GDLover slams and goes hard. GDLover slams and goes hard. GDLover slams and goes hard. GDLover slams and goes hard. GDLover slams and goes hard. GDLover slams and goes hard. GDLover slams and goes hard. GDLover slams and goes hard. GDLover slams and goes hard.
    78734/78704/ In my truck stealing your internets
    Great idea on the ac pad, but I would caution against some of the ultra-light weight ac pads, which are a tiny layer of cement with a foam core or even high-density foam. I could see an ember burning through and getting a boost from the foam. Pavers are a great idea and you could use elsewhere later. For flagstone, Sandstone is really fire resistant - I have had a scrap piece on top of the fire box of smoker for the last year. Limestone tends to crack and fracture when it gets hot, same with slate.

asshat Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese's Avatar
    Nope. No ember burned thru mine. I do keep the garden hose close by and wet the grass all around the chimnea

asshat bnb grows his own roses bnb grows his own roses bnb grows his own roses bnb grows his own roses bnb grows his own roses bnb grows his own roses bnb grows his own roses bnb grows his own roses bnb grows his own roses bnb grows his own roses bnb grows his own roses bnb's Avatar
    Plug the hole up and get a cover?

I had lunch with a buddy of mine and he suggested putting in a metal pail. That solves a couple of things. 1) It prevents the ashes/embers from blowing away, ie they are stuck in the pail. 2) It is made of metal (sheet metal I guess) and that should sustain the high temps, no?

asshat e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    That looks good. Maybe put a tile underneath that and some sand in the bucket for good measure.
    Last edited by e; 12-22-2010 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by e View Post
    That looks good. Maybe put a tile underneath that and some sand in the bucket for good measure.
    excellent idea...

i'll be firing it up next week.

+ Reply to Thread