+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hypothetically sharing cable tv with a neighbor?

asshat ludosc Shaggy Gold Club ludosc Shaggy Gold Club ludosc Shaggy Gold Club ludosc Shaggy Gold Club ludosc Shaggy Gold Club ludosc Shaggy Gold Club ludosc Shaggy Gold Club ludosc Shaggy Gold Club ludosc Shaggy Gold Club ludosc Shaggy Gold Club ludosc Shaggy Gold Club ludosc's Avatar

hypothetically sharing cable tv with a neighbor?

hypothetically speaking, if a person were to share cable TV with a neighbor next door (who happens to be a very good friend and even a co-worker), what are the chances that you could get busted by the cable provider and what would be the ramifications of getting busted? In this hypothetical situation, the houses are about 15 ft. apart so it would be pretty easy to hide (bury) a line running from house A to house B. The idea here, would be splitting the cost of the cable TV with said neighbor...

asshat immamac is a rep whore. immamac is a rep whore. immamac is a rep whore. immamac is a rep whore. immamac is a rep whore. immamac is a rep whore. immamac is a rep whore. immamac is a rep whore. immamac is a rep whore. immamac is a rep whore. immamac is a rep whore. immamac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ludosc View Post
    hypothetically speaking, if a person were to share cable TV with a neighbor next door (who happens to be a very good friend and even a co-worker), what are the chances that you could get busted by the cable provider and what would be the ramifications of getting busted? In this hypothetical situation, the houses are about 15 ft. apart so it would be pretty easy to hide (bury) a line running from house A to house B. The idea here, would be splitting the cost of the cable TV with said neighbor...
    Is there a rule/law/contract saying you cannot do this?

dipshit chesapeak is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? chesapeak's Avatar
    I believe cable theft is a class A misdemeanor with max $4000 fine and 1yr in jail. The offense can be both active and passive i.e. you knowingly let someone steal your cable. I know plenty of people who did that in college and never got caught... but my ass would be really pissed at me if I went to jail to save a lousy 100 bucks a month!

It's copyright infringement. Do you remember the people downloading songs for "free"? Same thing essentially. This is also willful infringement, and you are subject to civil damages and criminal penalties.
    Last edited by hockeydude; 08-07-2011 at 01:46 PM.

asshat Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese's Avatar
    i have an extra converter just for my hot tub out back.

aint nothing stopping me from running a cable next door, and letting my neighbor watching cable on their tv in their garage

if i am paying for the extra converter ($5.00 per month) then i can put my tv on the roof

$#@! em

Have your neighbor buy a large flat screen and put it in the window facing your house. And they should give you the remote.

asshat Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke's Avatar
    The odds of getting caught are minuscule, especially if you bury the cable.

asshat Rigo84 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Rigo84 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Rigo84 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Rigo84 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Rigo84 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Rigo84 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Rigo84 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Rigo84 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Rigo84 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Rigo84 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Rigo84 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Rigo84's Avatar
    If you bury it and arent asking for like 8 boxes they wont know anything. Especially if you give them no reason to come check(disconnect or new services)

asshat r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982's Avatar
    You'll also need an amplifier.

asshat Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by r2k3982 View Post
    You'll also need an amplifier.
    Probably not.

asshat beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer's Avatar
    Greater than 300 yards from an elementary school
    Up here in bag-o-$#@!s country, Cox (pun well recognized) can tell how many drops you have attached in your home. So long as you were to remove as many as were attached to the other home they could not tell "automatically". Assuming you have an all-digital system by now, you will have to rent the additional decoders as well (or register your neighbor's cable cards) to receive service. Had a guy come out to diagnose a problem and told me (before he arrived) that it looked like I had a splittter and several non-working connections that were causing a signal problem with my data service. Sure enough, he found a hidden in a wall from years before we bought the place, then changed out a splitter, properly terminated unused ports and wah-lah signal level improved and data back up to 300 baud or something like that.

asshat ludosc Shaggy Gold Club ludosc Shaggy Gold Club ludosc Shaggy Gold Club ludosc Shaggy Gold Club ludosc Shaggy Gold Club ludosc Shaggy Gold Club ludosc Shaggy Gold Club ludosc Shaggy Gold Club ludosc Shaggy Gold Club ludosc Shaggy Gold Club ludosc Shaggy Gold Club ludosc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beer View Post
    Up here in bag-o-$#@!s country, Cox (pun well recognized) can tell how many drops you have attached in your home. So long as you were to remove as many as were attached to the other home they could not tell "automatically". Assuming you have an all-digital system by now, you will have to rent the additional decoders as well (or register your neighbor's cable cards) to receive service. Had a guy come out to diagnose a problem and told me (before he arrived) that it looked like I had a splittter and several non-working connections that were causing a signal problem with my data service. Sure enough, he found a hidden in a wall from years before we bought the place, then changed out a splitter, properly terminated unused ports and wah-lah signal level improved and data back up to 300 baud or something like that.
    i need 2 boxes for my house...they dont currently have cable, so i would order 3 (which is exactly the number of TV's in the house)...i already told my neighbor that if i need the service provider to come check on anything, that ill need that box back for that time period...

i cant really see anyway i'd get busted for this...

asshat jmatt is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? jmatt is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? jmatt is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? jmatt is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? jmatt is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? jmatt is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? jmatt is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? jmatt is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? jmatt is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? jmatt is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? jmatt is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? jmatt's Avatar
    Why is it when someone says something like that, something BAD always seems to happen to the person that says it??

asshat 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club
    easier to get satellite tv, order extra receiver, and have them use that

i know ppl who split this service across cities

i stole cable tv all 4 years of college. every semester they would come and connect and disconnect ppl as some students actually bought that $#@!... id bust open the box and hooked it up like a boss. (of course i randomly hooked up other peoples lines as well.)

asshat Fuck Greg Davis Shaggy Gold Club Fuck Greg Davis Shaggy Gold Club Fuck Greg Davis Shaggy Gold Club Fuck Greg Davis Shaggy Gold Club Fuck Greg Davis Shaggy Gold Club Fuck Greg Davis Shaggy Gold Club Fuck Greg Davis Shaggy Gold Club Fuck Greg Davis Shaggy Gold Club Fuck Greg Davis Shaggy Gold Club Fuck Greg Davis Shaggy Gold Club Fuck Greg Davis Shaggy Gold Club Fuck Greg Davis's Avatar
    class A misdemeanor anywhere but Austin. In Austin Art and his boys kill
    you for cable theft.

Bernard

asshat SPII has a gigantic e-peen. SPII has a gigantic e-peen. SPII has a gigantic e-peen. SPII has a gigantic e-peen. SPII has a gigantic e-peen. SPII has a gigantic e-peen. SPII has a gigantic e-peen. SPII has a gigantic e-peen. SPII has a gigantic e-peen. SPII has a gigantic e-peen. SPII has a gigantic e-peen. SPII's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 5280 View Post
    id bust open the box and hooked it up like a boss. (of course i randomly hooked up other peoples lines as well.)
    got a friend on here that did the same for me and everyone in my little west campus complex back in the day.

asshat mulletpelini might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mulletpelini might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mulletpelini might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mulletpelini might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mulletpelini might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mulletpelini might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mulletpelini might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mulletpelini might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mulletpelini might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mulletpelini might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mulletpelini might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mulletpelini's Avatar
    Stick with satellite. It's in orbit. Only way to be sure.

Generally anywhere within 150 miles you'll get local channels.

I don't know anything about this.
    Last edited by mulletpelini; 08-08-2011 at 02:03 AM. Reason: I read it online somewhere.

asshat NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX's Avatar
    Jesus built my car. Its a love affair. Mainly Jesus and my hot rod.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5280 View Post
    easier to get satellite tv, order extra receiver, and have them use that

i know ppl who split this service across cities
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletpelini View Post
    Stick with satellite. It's in orbit. Only way to be sure.

Generally anywhere within 150 miles you'll get local channels.

So you're saying that if a person knew someone who lived 25 miles away (as the crow flies) & this other person had satellite service, a second individual could somehow get a receiver & then set it up @ another address... & then properly point @ the satellite & get service @ this 2nd location?

I suppose it's kinda like someone who has service @ home & then takes a dish out for temporary set up @ a tailgate, right?

asshat Rigo84 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Rigo84 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Rigo84 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Rigo84 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Rigo84 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Rigo84 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Rigo84 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Rigo84 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Rigo84 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Rigo84 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Rigo84 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Rigo84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NCAAFBALLROX View Post
    So you're saying that if a person knew someone who lived 25 miles away (as the crow flies) & this other person had satellite service, a second individual could somehow get a receiver & then set it up @ another address... & then properly point @ the satellite & get service @ this 2nd location?

I suppose it's kinda like someone who has service @ home & then takes a dish out for temporary set up @ a tailgate, right?
    correct, pretty simple especially if you can find a dish on craigslist

Quote Originally Posted by NCAAFBALLROX View Post

Yes.
    Last edited by Luke Duke; 08-08-2011 at 12:27 PM.

then by all means do it. if this falls within your moral parameters you should do it.
    Last edited by po elvis; 08-08-2011 at 12:21 PM.

asshat r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Duke View Post
    Probably not.
    I have to use an amplifier in my house just to get the signal to the tvs upstairs without them being blurry, so he may need one to boost the signal once it gets to his house.

Lotsa chicken on this thread.

Ok, lets set a baseline. The TV in the window pointing next door is safe, right? How about you get your three receivers PLUS a slingbox and keep everything in your house. The neighbor just slings in and controls/watches the third receiver you don't even have hooked up to TV. Very easy and reliable. That is safe enough, right?

I believe it could be done with 99% safety (there is always a Judas) using buried cable and legit equipment and card, but I wouldn't go to incredible effort. You could even convert the coax to ethernet easily with monoprice gear and bury the ethernet if you wanted to hide it more. OR just run the output coax next door along with IR repeater wire and keep everything in the house with the contract.

The cable cos don't even use their own employees to hook systems up, so they darn sure don't have stormtrooping gestapo agents running around with metal detectors looking in whitebread suburbia. Go for it.

Attorney-types: Does it make a difference if the licensed house gives it away for free? Sounds like severity of the crime should matter if cash changes hands, but I have no idea.

asshat 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club
    it makes better economic sense to crank up everyone's monthly charges for $#@!ty ass programming than it is to send people to check connections and pursue them in small courts

installers (who are 3rd party contractors) dont give a $#@!. like i said before, sometimes they lock up the box, but most of the time, they dont even care to lock the $#@! up

Duke of New York Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97's Avatar
    Much easier to do with satellite. My dad and I shared a Dish Network account for over 3 years despite being 1500 miles apart.

+ Reply to Thread